amplifier for Heresy's III

exp4nder

Hi guys, i am looking for over a month now for an integrated amplifier for my Heresys but i don't know what to look for, so i thought i will ask you guys who now better ... So, i need an advise on which amplifiers to hear between 1000-2000€. Ι don't care if they are tranzistor, digital, tube, etc, i just need some ideas from people who have them or have heard them with heresy's and are very satisfied with them...

Thanks in advance!!

What kind of budget do you have? new, used??? Modern, vintage?

I love the vintage sound for nostalgias sake, and keep several vintage set ups just because.....but my main rig is all modern, and I think with the exceptional clarity that your H III's have a modern design would suit your needs....

Rogue Audio has a wonderful tube integrated for less than 2K, that sounds like it costs 10K.....

Cayin has some very good sounding products that are reasonable...

Mcintosh has several newer integrated amps and they are a great deal considering they hold there value over time

If you like vintage a HH Scott rebuild, or Sansui, could be right up your ally

It's kind of like ice cream....lots of flavors to choose from, you just got to get out there and start tasting......Sorry if this made things worse for you....

• 2 weeks later...

For starters, please update your Profile, so we can provide the best answers for you:

• Room size?
  • Room shape?
  • Prefer extra bass punch or flat accuracy?
  • Subwoofer?
  • Stereo or multi-channel?
  • What kind of music? Movies too?
  • How loud?
  • Other planned additions or upgrades?
  • Tweaking audiophile – handy, willing to DIY?
  • Prefer new or used?
  • What else have you tried?

Fenderbender has some good advice. Amplifiers for Heresy speakers are the same as other big ole Klipsch horns: you need first watts with very low distortion, not huge amounts of wattage. Because of their extremely low distortion, big ole horns are extremely revealing of anomalies upstream. If a component has lots of distortion at low power, the speakers can sound harsh. This is more readily available with refurbished tube equipment than new solid-state offerings.

• So, look for heavy, vintage solid-state receivers, like Harmon Kardon twin transformer models 430-930, which go for as little as $5
  • Check out chip amplifiers, like Sonic Impact and Trend Audio, which are about $100
  • Seriously consider low-cost, refurbished tube amplifiers from fellow forum poster Craig, at NOSvalves.com. Refurbishing one will take time, yet it will cost less about a grand. The result however, will be as almost as good as most mega-buck integrated amplifiers, solid-state or tube.
  • I know from experience that Cayin, Antique Sound Labs and Bottlehead are good

I've never heard the Hereseys, and I've owned K-Horns only for a few months.

I've had a 75 watt SS Primare integrated, a 100 watt Jolida EL34 tube intagrated, a Decware 2 watt single ended EL84 tube integrated, and a 6 watt single ended 807 tube based integrated on the KHorns.

By far, without a doubt, 100% - The low power single ended amps sound best to me. If you have the Hereseys I really believe you should try to find a similar amp. Heck - The Decware kit is $300 (there was a recent thread on this forum if you want to see details), $700 if you have them build it. Depending on your space it may not be enough power, but it will give you a great idea what type of sound is waiting for you. Bottlehead, Audio Note, and others make kits and/or prebuilt amps as well.

To me it's pretty simple - These speakers are very efficient. Use that to your advantage by putting fewer but higher quality watts into them.