The unconventional one...

MistaChy

Okay, hear me out guys. I've always, always ran a 4 front system since 1994. I always, always loved having two larger fronts on channel A and two smaller fronts on channel B and a in recent years ive added a sub woofer for more base. Thats how ive always listened to music. 4 good fronts and a sub woofer, with the front speakers spread out, 2ch stereo

Im wanting to run another 4 front setup with this marantz but im unble to do it how i used to because if i run the rf-83's on channel A and the rf-82's on channel B, thats only going to be 62.5 watts going to each speaker. so what i was considering doing is getting a 250 watt amp... 125 per channel and running a pre out signal out of the receiver into it to power the rf 83's. that way i would have 125 watts going to all 4 speakers.

is this the best way to do it if i want 4 fronts and a .1 sub for music while maintaining my 7.1 setup for movies?

i was talking to a guy at klipsch and he recommended that i buy a 4ch amp at around 250 watts per channel and put all the front speaker on it. how does that sound?

okay this is what i was thinking ...

Bi Wire RF82s to channels A and B... AL front goes into left Hi... AR goes into right high, and BL front goes into left woofer... BR goes into right woofer. So i guess the only thing i would be doing different is not slpising the cables as ive see many thread recommend to do. So i would use channels A and B together for the RF-82s since im using small 16 gauge cable. that should make the rf-82's sound better.

also i would get the xpa-2 from emotiva http://emotiva.com/xpa2.shtm and have that power my 2 front rf-83's from the pre out of my receiver...

????

If you're looking to bi-wire your RF-82s, do NOT use both your A+B channels to do it unless that's how the Marantz was designed to bi-wire (which I'm 99.99999% sure it isn't). Either run two cables from the SAME output of your receiver or utilize the two Surround Back channels which are how most receivers are designed that are set up to bi-wire.

I don't want to sound rude and I know your money is your money but by your recent threads it seems that you don't really care how much money you're throwing at your system. If you take your time and do some research you'll be able to invest your money into things that will really improve the quality of your system and not have to resort on throwing something together and then spending more money on upgrades immediately after.

Example: Many people think the idea of having two center speakers is a good idea. What they don't realize is that two speakers receiving the same signal can cause a phenomenon called comb filtering, resulting in certain frequencies being cancelled out or played much quieter than other frequencies. The end result is that the sound is actually worse than if they were to just use one single, capable center speaker.**

**Think about the above example when you're thinking of connecting two pairs of main speakers that are outputting the same information. [Y]

If you're looking to bi-wire your RF-82s, do NOT use both your A+B channels to do it unless that's how the Marantz was designed to bi-wire (which I'm 99.99999% sure it isn't).

i called marants before i did it, and thats what they told me to do. i told them about splicing and they said dont do it that way. they designed their biwire for channels a&b and designed their bi ampings for using of the multispeaker inputs.

i chose to biwire instead of bi amping because i wanted the 7.1 setup and i would constantly have to mess with settings if i chose to bi amp if i wanted to keep 7.1

If you're looking to bi-wire your RF-82s, do NOT use both your A+B channels to do it unless that's how the Marantz was designed to bi-wire (which I'm 99.99999% sure it isn't). Either run two cables from the SAME output of your receiver or utilize the two Surround Back channels which are how most receivers are designed that are set up to bi-wire.

I don't want to sound rude and I know your money is your money but by your recent threads it seems that you don't really care how much money you're throwing at your system. If you take your time and do some research you'll be able to invest your money into things that will really improve the quality of your system and not have to resort on throwing something together and then spending more money on upgrades immediately after.

Example: Many people think the idea of having two center speakers is a good idea. What they don't realize is that two speakers receiving the same signal can cause a phenomenon called comb filtering, resulting in certain frequencies being cancelled out or played much quieter than other frequencies. The end result is that the sound is actually worse than if they were to just use one single, capable center speaker.**

**Think about the above example when you're thinking of connecting two pairs of main speakers that are outputting the same information. Yes

I could not possibly agree with you more wuzzzer. Running four front channels is NOT the best idea. You will run in to all kind's of problems. Cancellation being the BIG one. Your receiver with just one pair of RF-83's will be absolutely mind blowing!

**Think about the above example when you're thinking of connecting two pairs of main speakers that are outputting the same information. Yes

I could not possibly agree with you more wuzzzer. Running four front channels is NOT the best idea. You will run in to all kind's of problems. Cancellation being the BIG one. Your receiver with just one pair of RF-83's will be absolutely mind blowing!

i hear what u guys are saying, but those tech guys from Marantz seemed absolutely positive about the bi-wiring, and one of the guys even said thats how he had his marantz set up. so im definate going to call and get it straight. and what makes me feel confident right now is the difference i hear. its like you guys are saying one thing and the tech guys and my ears are saying another

could not possibly agree with you more wuzzzer. Running four front channels is NOT the best idea. You will run in to all kind's of problems. Cancellation being the BIG one. Your receiver with just one pair of RF-83's will be absolutely mind blowing!

well said Chapman, as i have said in previous posts the 83's and a 12in sub would be more than anyone could handle, and sound amazing.

i hear what u guys are saying, but those tech guys from Marantz seemed absolutely positive about the bi-wiring, and one of the guys even said thats how he had his marantz set up. so im definate going to call and get it straight. and what makes me feel confident right now is the difference i hear. its like you guys are saying one thing and the tech guys and my ears are saying another

Not that I want to contradict what the guys are saying at Marantz but, most of the members here are well versed in hometheater and speak from (and I'm sure of this) years of experience. We are all trying to make sure that you have the best experience with Klipsch. Ultimately it is your money and your speakers but, IMO don't you want it to sound good?

Not that I want to contradict what the guys are saying at Marantz but, most of the members here are well versed in hometheater and speak from (and I'm sure of this) years of experience. We are all trying to make sure that you have the best experience with Klipsch. Ultimately it is your money and your speakers but, IMO don't you want it to sound good?

yes sir! yes sir i do very much...

MistaChy, what JChapman was referring to is running two separate pairs of main speakers. It will in almost all cases cause cancellation in certain frequencies. The end result might be slightly louder output but the overall quality of sound would actually be worse than with a single pair of front main speakers.

Exactly! Based on what speakers you already have (not whats coming) you could go with this set-up: RF-82's up front, RC-62 center, RS-52 side surrounds, RSX-5 rears and whatever subwoofer you have chosen would be an AWESOME sounding home-theater.

Exactly! Based on what speakers you already have (not whats coming) you could go with this set-up: RF-82's up front, RC-62 center, RS-52 side surrounds, RSX-5 rears and whatever subwoofer you have chosen would be an AWESOME sounding home-theater.

the 82's arnt loud enough at present. They get loud but just not loud enough. I didn't want to get rid of the. I wanted to incorperate them in my setup some how when the 83s get in

• Moderators

the 82's arnt loud enough at present. They get loud but just not loud enough.

I wish you were close enough to bring them over to my house or someone else's house. I picked up a pair of RF-3II's for a friend and they got plenty loud and are very similar in design to the RF-82's. Something doesn't sound right.

• Moderators

well said Chapman, as i have said in previous posts the 83's and a 12in sub would be more than anyone could handle, and sound amazing.

I don't know about more than anyone could handle but totally agree on the amazing. There is a scene in Hero with Jet Li that will almost pop your ears it gets so loud and it never once breaks up. Super highs, crisp and clear.

Well I was in love with the 83's at first sight. So in the end, I may wind up selling the 82s. What causes the canceling? Is it no just an unpowered pre amp signal that's being sent to the xpa-2?

Well if the RF-83's are what you truly want than you ought to go with this set-up here

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/rf-83-home-theater-system-overview/

Now concerning the cancellation. I won't comment too heavily on such a technical subject but, I do know that when the same frequency is sent through two different speakers, with different crossovers, and different overall characteristics. That it causes nulls or peaks in the frequency graph. This is due to improper placement and/or the speakers in question are not hooked up properly. You do NOT want this. I hope someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in soon.

You are right. Something seems a mis because this should be loud enough but its not which is why I was considering putting the 83s on the xpa-2 to ensure I go deaf. I just didn't want to sell those 82s if I could hook em up.

Well I tell you what. If you like the look of the complete RF-83 set-up and would somehow like to incorporate the RF-82's you could run the 82's as side or rear surrounds. That would be killer! As far as the xpa-2, you would be better off trying to power all three front speakers (front left/right and center) with the same amp. Look into some other options with Emotiva. Such as the XPA-3, XPA-5, or the UPA-7. Any of the previous amps mentioned or any other brand for that matter would be worth while.

yea that is an option... and may be what i have to do in the long run.... but you know what. its probably gona sound trashy as its been said, but with a return policy like this http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=content&page=1, i might just have to atleast give it a sound check. i have to have the 83's up front. So i gota buy em, and if the 82's sound like trash, ill sell em... but i lose nothing but shipping costs in giving it a try. im starting to like emotiva. ill probably end up telling you that it didnt out :( but i gota keep hope alive