OT: Vintage cameras ?

DizRotus

Yes the Mamiya is medium format, using 120/220 film, the negative is 2 1/4" square. The C3 preceded the C33 and then the C330, there was also a more basic model C220. I liked these cameras a lot. I had Rolleiflex's which are of the same design as well, but the Mamiya had the advantage of interchangeable lenses and were quite a bit cheaper, but they gave up very little in picture quality. However unlike the Rollei's the prices have took a hit in the last few years.

I dunno if this applies, but the 50 mm lens on a Mamiya 35 mm SLR I once had was very sharp and had fine color contrast (a key item of importance for me). The 2 1/4" film size is "medium format," i.e., moderately larger than the 1.5" X 1" size of 35 mm film frames. Supposedly a little finer detail which I imagined I could barely see in magazine reproductions. Print film only, I'm pretty sure. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/120_film.

Yes, I now use a Leica M for my casual travel photos, and I find the 50 mm and 35 mm (VERY EXPENSIVE) lenses are all I need. I also have a 90 mm which is sometimes useful. The color and sharpness of the Leica M lenses are extremely good. I switched from Nikon after seeing a definite difference in slides taken on now-discontinued Kodachrome 25. Other advantages of the Leica M: it is small and compact, and has an exceptionally quiet shutter (no SLR mirror flop). That and its weight allow hand-holding using at least one shutter speed slower than your SLR.

The principal disadvantage is film loading and unloading, which is primitive vintage 1930's or earlier. A sort of point of pride to show off in front of people who've never seen it before.

The M3 doesn't have an exposure meter. I also have an M6 (both were bought used), which does have a meter. Flash is also very rudimentary. Don't let it sit lens-up in the sunlight, as the shutter is black cloth.

One other thing: it's NOT an SLR, so you're not looking through the lens! Unlike an SLR, you can't tell the lens cap is on by looking through the viewfinder. I've made a few black slides that way.

I also have an M3, dual-stroke (meaning it takes two strokes to advance one frame). Later models were single-stroke. It's a beautiful camera! Superb example of German mechanical engineering. They're highly prized and collectible now (condition of course being the value factor), but in the day they were considered nearly indestructible workhorses, many having been used by the likes of war correspondents and other pro photographers wishing to go light and relatively unobtrusive.

Those lenses might be worth more than the camera body. Make note of the words and numbers on the front of the lens, circling the glass.

Helpful sites:

http://nemeng.com/leica/002be.shtml

http://www.cameraquest.com/mtype.htm

http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/index-frameset.html?LeicaM3.html~mainFrame

"Leica M3s with a serial number of over 1,000,000 have a premium among
both users and collectors because these were built at the tail-end of
production. Not only did they have all the desirable features, but the
factory workers were also at their peak in terms of experience in
building the hand-made cameras.
"

Yes the Mamiya is medium format, using 120/220 film, the negative is 2 1/4" square. The C3 preceded the C33 and then the C330, there was also a more basic model C220. I liked these cameras a lot. I had Rolleiflex's which are of the same design as well, but the Mamiya had the advantage of interchangeable lenses and were quite a bit cheaper, but they gave up very little in picture quality. However unlike the Rollei's the prices have took a hit in the last few years.

A young ColterPhoto used to carry his Dad's C330 at weddings. The Twin Lens Reflex is an interesting design, no mirror to 'thwap', but without a prism they're a bit awkward. Probably not worth much these days when Hassleblad bodies are bringing in mid three figures.

I'm not a Leica expert but those look to be very vintage and in exquisite condition cosmetically. As always, check the curtain for wrinkles and smooth action and lenses for any internal fogging or dust.

M

120 and 220 sized roll film is still widely available and comes in color, black and white, and transparency types. I used to use 400 asa Kodak, 1600 ASA Fuji, Tungsten balanced and C40process bw at weddings.

In terms of detail, medium format trumps 35mm by a long shot. That is why serious wedding photographers only used 35mm for candids in the 60's through 90's. 35mm film is 24x36mm or 1.34 in2 whereas medium format at 2 1/4" square yields 5 in2- about 3.8 TIMES the area. In addition, many photographers prefer the square format for it's compositional character. The square format doesn't tie you down to a vertical or horizontal image an is far easier to crop to a given size due to the large negative.

Michael,

I knew you'd be able to and willing to offer valuable input. I never would've guessed that the camera equipment is potentially more valuable than the old Khorns.

Speaking of which, several people have expressed interest in the Khorns. There's a mild bidding war among the offers below asking price group, which is fine. I don't like it when Forum members attempt to bid above the asking price to out bid each other. That won't happen. The first Forum member who agrees to the current asking price is the owner, irrespective of higher offers.

They should be under new ownership soon.