OT: Vintage cameras ?

DizRotus

The same friend who is selling a '54 Khorn & a '56 Khorn in Garage Sale asked me for advice about a Leica 35mm and a Mamiya (medium format?) camera. I told her I'd tap the collective expertise of friends, including the many photography experts who frequent this forum.

What can you tell me about either of the cameras shown in the photos? The attached zip file has all photos and the foloowing posts will attach each photo separately.

That was premium gear back in the day, probably the 1970s, but film cameras aren't worth what they used to be. You might want to check Ebay for current prices for the Leica M3,which is what the 35 is. As for the Mamiya, the amount of dust on it suggests it hasn't been used for a long time. That's a bad thing for cameras. He'll want to see if it's still operational, or if its internal parts are seized up.

Both cameras could be of most interest to collectors.

Back in the day, the Leica would have been worth between $2,000 & $3,000 bucks just with the small lens, in my opinion. The Mamiya, about $1,500 - $2,000/ Today? I have no clue what they are worth but if you can still buy film for the Mamiya, I'd use both of them until you can't shoot them any more. They are still great cameras with superb optics! -Glenn

The Mamiya probably isn't worth too much....But the all the vintage Leica's are very collectable and may fetch a nice price.... The glass Leica glass is supurb!

I'm not an expert on these models, But I would have your friend get a good appraisal the leica gear....heck I'd love to have one if I had the money!

The Leica will probably still get serious money if you were to sell it, depending on condition, tho I'm no expert I do know there are a lot of serious Leica collectors. The Mamiya.....Maybe $300 on a good day, again depending on condition and operation. I actually used the Mamiyas in my work and I liked them a lot, interchangeable lenses, lots of goodies, good optics.

Glenn, Fenderbender and Oldenough-

I appreciate your useful input. Your info is consistent with early reports from my photographer nephew. Colter is yet to weigh in with an opinion.

I'll display my ignorance regarding cameras in general and the Mamiya in particular. Is that a medium format? I know the Leica is 35mm, but what is the Mamiya?

This is a surprise to me that the camera equipment is potentially worth more than the '54 & '56 Khorns. I know my friend will also be surprised. It still makes me ill to think that she was fleeced out of the McIntosh tube equipment that powered the speakers.

B&H Photo Video has one M3 body for sale at $800. No lens. They were introduced in 1954. A friend of mine had an M1, and it was a superb camera.

When I visited Hong Kong a couple years ago, there was a store in the ferry terminal that was full of Nikons and Leicas. I almost wet my pants. The prices weren't that bad, but still more than I had on me.