laScala grounded

jazzbeq

Hi,

Does anyone experienced this:

Speaker Steel frame, grounded to earth, laScala seems more focus and detail in playing music?

For now, i only did it on the squaker, but plan to do on the rest of speaker?

Any comment on this is welcome?

Regards

JazzbeQ

not exactly, in french we called it "saladier"(driver frame), so i is the steel frame in front of the magnet,

i read that some residual, magnetism charge the thing and this way it clean it.

Tannoy speaker have now a external connector to ground them and help them focus, so i guess a way for laScala squeaker (horn) and attach the ground to it's base, since mine are all steel?

For tweeter, i am not shure if it's steel are some plastic?

For woofer, well how do we access woofer in laScala?

Thanks for any help?

regards

JazzbeQ

I know it sound like a psyvoodoosound! [H]

Hi,

Does anyone experienced this:

Speaker Steel frame, grounded to earth, laScala seems more focus and detail in playing music?

For now, i only did it on the squaker, but plan to do on the rest of speaker?

Any comment on this is welcome?

Regards

JazzbeQ

No...I tried it but noticed no difference...Maybe I should try running 120v thru them instead?

sounds like a possible new product line......

I'm sorry, but this one struck me a bit more on the humorous side...

Let's see, if the magnet structure contains most of the field then the only other thing that could be happening is grounding currents in the permanent magnet via the driver's frame, right? EMI issues are well documented with cone-type drivers undergoing large excursions to the point that it upsets the fields in nearby CRTs.

It could also be that associated signal-level wiring might be affected by the moving currents in the magnet structure, or other drivers nearby that aren't shielded. I bet this would be mostly heard with subwoofers.

Where's our electro-dynamicists?

Chris

Hi

So i don't have the oil, but now i know how to open it.

Seems, like voodoo, but...

anyhow,

Thanks

Extract from T. websites on huiles the serpent:

Hard-wired crossovers are used throughout the Turnberry SE and the routing of each cable has been painstakingly considered to ensure there is no degradation in sound quality. Similarly, the components have been carefully arranged to avoid any coupling effects. In particular, incredible transparency in the mid band has been achieved providing an enhanced true-to-life vocal clarity. Completely redesigned crossovers, incorporating the most up-to-date high quality components, have taken these models to a new level of acoustic excellence. ICW Clarity Caps have been included for high frequency (HF) section of the crossovers, while high quality metalised film capacitors are used in LF sections. The LF crossover also makes use of very low loss laminated iron core inductors. Internal connections from input terminals to crossover, internal crossover wiring and crossover to Dual Concentric™ drive unit are made with the exceptional VDH MC CS18 halogen free silver-plated cable.

A 5-point terminal panel (bi-wire and ground point) gold plated terminals has been incorporated on the Turnberry SE. With the driver chassis grounded via the 5th terminal, and by using appropriate speaker cable, this proven technology, developed on earlier Prestige models, minimises the effects of RF interference resulting in a more transparent midrange.

It seems to me that because horn-loaded drivers only displace -10 dB (conservatively) relative to direct radiator drivers, the effects of EMI (eddy currents, parasitic back-EMF, etc.) would also be at least 10 dB down relative to direct radiators, and any stray external fields would be easier to shield from the other drivers.

In fact, I would think that the problems would be accentuated in the least efficient speakers, notably electrostatic and dynamic bi-radiating drivers (like Magneplanars or Quads). Additionally, the noise from non-horn-loaded cone-type subwoofers would include the highest external fields, but all in the lf band. If you are using a direct-radiating woofer in your Klipsch speakers that have horn-loaded upper frequency drivers, then there might be an issue.

I think that the particular band that you're worried about (e.g., midrange) is important, since the human ear is most sensitive to distortion in this region (i.e., Fletcher-Munson effects).

What do you think?

Chris

"I'm sorry, but this one struck me a bit more on the humorous side..."

I can see it now....litz wire ground straps....fine wire for the tweeter...medium wire for the mid driver....and solid hanger thickness wire for the woofer.

So if i read it correctly, instead of opening my speaker, i just connect the negative to the ground of my Turntable on my amp, and basicaly, it will do the same as open it and ground the driver cage?

Do i understand correctly?

No, neither the positive nor the negative speaker lead is connected to the frame/basket of the K-33 woofer. The voice coil is independent of the basket.

Bruce

It is not totally clear what is being claim but, in my view, it seems like snake oil using electrical engineering terms. Very typical.

There are vague implications that the magnetic field of the driver is going to "grounded" with some beneficial effect. Generally, the field in the gap is established by the magnet and pole pieces. Those creates a "difference". There is no need to reference it to a standard zero. The interaction between the magnetic field of the gap and the magnetic field caused by the current in the voice coil does not require any "ground" or reference zero

There is also reference to RF interference. There is no reason to believe there is any radio frequency energy in the area.

Wm McD

1982 to 2009, maybe they we're some snake in it and now they sound as new as out of the factory! or it is montreal city RF that create the change who knows.

I wonder, why tannoy implemented it in there drivers?

BTW:

Thanks for the info, always a pleasure to learn more

best regards