KSW-12, i really goofed this one up

BigStewMan

no, i got a pair of super thin needle nose; but, the fuse has basically disinengrated inside the compartment. the bottom of the fuse is firmly attached inside; but, the glass all broken to pieces. the plyers i used were the ones that spread apart when you are not squeezing them. i thought that i'd be able to jam them inside and when they spread apart i could twist the fuse and pull it right out; but, it just mangled more. took the back off hoping to expose the fuse more; but, no luck. so, i just don't know what to do.

Well, let's think along the lines of how to remove a broken light bulb from a standard light socket, since their basically the same thing (shards of glass contained by a metal housing.

The old Wives tale about sticking a potatoe into the broken light bulb socket and then twisting the potatoe really works. I was going to suggest a pencil eraser, but now that I think about it, I think the eraser would be too rigid for the broken glass to stick into the rubber. But, something with the consistancy of a potatoe, but the shape of a pencil.[:^)]

I might have it, take a stiff drinking straw, cut a potatoe in half and cram the straw into the potatoe as far as you can. Then twist the drinking straw out of the potatoe. Hopefully the straw will be stuck full of potatoe. Then stick the drinking straw into the fuse slot and twist and pull outward, VERY gently.

Just a thought.

chewing gum or silly putty on end of a skewer stick, then brush out and vacuum.

NOTE- do NOT attempt to re-chew the gum after using it to extract glass shards.

OUCH! *mental note* read ALL of colter's post before taking action. Anyone know how i can get glass shards out of my mouth?

on a serious note--nothing i do works. by now, i'm sure the only thing left is the metal cap at the end of the fuse which is firmly attached inside still. Frustrating how something so simple is giving me fits.

• 1 month later...

why not get a pair of snap ring pliers. The concept is they spread apart to grab the inside of the metal fuse. They are sometimes refered to as O-ring pliers. I know Sears carries them, but you can also get them at various auto supply shops in pretty small sizes.

Since you're basically down to replacing the fuse holder, why not try drilling it out? Find a drill bit that's about the right size, put your drill in reverse then carefully pull the trigger. I assume you have an adjustable speed drill? Start slow then blast the friggin' thing out of frustration if it doesn't come out!