nu2toobs

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pat,

I love my Jubilees. I ordered TAD 4002s for them . I also intend to build grills for the bass bins and 402s. Once everything is in place I will take some pictures and write a review.

Best,

Kudret

How about a Jub pic : ) ?

I really like your 12 inch sme and spu?. I would love to listen to that set up. I have my eye out for a 12 inch ortofon and an spu. If you have an spu in the headshell which one is it. How do you like the sound? What else have you tried?

BTW one of the best cheap improvement I added was a thick platter mat on top of the stock. I used this one with great detail improvement. http://www.extremephono.com/Mat.htm. I think it had more to do with additional magnetic isolation from the cast iron platter rather than resonance.

Pete,

My dream is also a 12" Ortofon. The cartridge is SPU G/T from 60s. I was lucky enough to get a NOS one from a new seller on eBay for cheap. I got the SPU G/T based on Allan Songer's recommendation and never regretted it. It has a full bodied sound with a mid range to die for.

What you see mounted in the picture is a Denon DL-103D. I am using it with Cinemag transformers. Denon is not even close to Ortofon but it's ok for casual listening. I have a single Jorgen Schou transformer and I've been looking for another one for years. If and when I find another, I will remove the internal transformer on Ortofon SPU G/T and use it with JS transformers.

Thanks for the mat recommendation. I've been meaning to get one. I will also need to get a spacer to raise the tonearm.

Kudret

Sounds like you agree with my wish list. I worry that I will spend the money on an ortofon set up and that it will not out perform my Rega 300 arm and my Zu dl103. I do not know anything about the transformers you mentioned. I have an eastern electric mini max phono preamp with low output mc and high output mc and mm. I am assuming that transformers are a more closely matched phono preamp? Does the riaa converson take place in the transformer?

I was looking for a Thorens TD-124 in the garage sale area a few weeks ago and Ki offered me his. I cut a deal with him and now I'm a proud owner of this piece of audio history. Ki could of sold this table on Audiogon or eBay for much more than I paid, but he'd rather sell to a Klipsch member at a lower cost, fortunately for me.

I rebuilt the motor and platter bearing, then bought a plinth from Jim in PA. I didn't want the SME II improved, so that was part of the deal where Ki could keep it. I installed a Jelco 750D tonearm with a light headshell for my AT 150mlx. I found out the cartridge was no longer working properly with in the right channel (who knows what happened there). I robbed my Koetsu Black that I had mounted on my Avid and here it is.

It gets up too speed after a couple revolutions, and it takes over two minute to spin down from 33.3 rpm.

How do you like the Jelco? How was the provided documentation? I plan on using the Jelco 12inch with my Garrard 301. That and the original Garrard TPA12.

There's not much documentation other than a mounting template and blueprint. I'm real happy with the Jelco arms. I own a 250st that came supplied with my Avid table and they're very well made. I'm using an SME 345 on the Avid now, which is much better than the Jelco's, mainly for ease of setup. It should be better since it retails for 3x the 750d price. I may install the 345 on the Thorens for the heck of it.

Yes those are new bearings already installed. I am having a speed adjustment issue that I cannot identify, so no listening yet. I got the MkII motor mounts which are supposed to help with the motor noise. I will post the results. I got the motor pretty quiet by light snugging the four bolts on the motor and tapping the case to slightly change the alignment until the least amount of noise was produced. I snugged up the nuts a little but at a time and listened. I could not torque them much because the noise level when up as I tightened the last 10% or so.

The speed issue is strange. Before the motor rebuild the table ran slow and only got up to stable speed after 30 or more minutes. Now I cannot adjust the magnet in the speed adjustment mechanism into a range to keep it from going to fast. Any ideas?

Pete, you might try changing the voltage. I've read of some folks doing that successfully. I followed Steve Clarke's directions over at The Analog Dept. when I rebuilt mine. I see he had a machine shop make some replacement bearings. The motor noise issue came along after the rebuild. I've done the MKII mount extensions, silicone dampers, etc. When I have a chunk of time to work on it, I think I'll try the new bronze motor bearings. Keep us informed when it comes time to listen!

Fini, Jim Campbell is going to offer a motor rebuild kit with sintered bronze bushings,ball bearing,felt disks,nuts and bolts,and a drill bit for removing the rivets. He said this will be around $100. They were supposed to be available last week, but he's waiting on his machinest.