Feedback for Ki Choi

nu2toobs

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How are you liking the 2M Bronze? I'm hoping to buy a 2M Black when the budget permits.

I've heard the Black is probably the best MM cartridge out there. They say it's much better than the Bronze, and if that's the case it must be great!

The bronze has the reputation of being bright and light. Mine definitely doesn't fit that description. It was smooth out of the box with mucho detail and soundstage. You'll be very happy with the Black.

Can't find anything on changing the voltage. Do you know where you found this. I know you can change voltage for other country's electrical supplies but this is not the issue.

Under the platter there is a place to change the voltage. I'm too lazy to take my platter off, but I think I remember you can set it for 110 or 125 volts? Play around with it and see what you can come up with. Otherwise, here's Steve Clarke's instructions for adjusting the eddy brake. (Photo below courtesy Scott Anderson)

TD124%20Rebuild%20015.JPG

A friend has the 2m black on a rega techno arm and it sounds very good. We put my zu 103 on my rega 300 on the same turntable and the zu out performed the black with more detail and mid base clarity. The black is a very cohesive sound with good authratative sound through the spectrum. We then tried a dynavector 10x5 and it was very close to the black. Disclaimer: we did al this in an afternoon and some trial and error vta and alignment tweeking may have made a difference in our comparisons.

I found my Bronze to sound more detailed in the upper frequencies than my ZU 103r and my Ebony/potted 103r. The koetsu Black outperforms them all in overall balance.

A friend has the 2m black on a rega techno arm and it sounds very good. We put my zu 103 on my rega 300 on the same turntable and the zu out performed the black with more detail and mid base clarity. The black is a very cohesive sound with good authratative sound through the spectrum. We then tried a dynavector 10x5 and it was very close to the black. Disclaimer: we did al this in an afternoon and some trial and error vta and alignment tweeking may have made a difference in our comparisons.

• 11 months later...

It's been a year since I bought this table from KI Choi, and I'm loving it more now than ever. It's now my one and only table.

I've made a couple of changes, which include the SME 345 arm I robbed off my Avid at the time, and an AT33PTG cartridge.

Again, thank you Ki for this great table!

It's been a year since I bought this table from KI Choi, and I'm loving it more now than ever. It's now my one and only table.

I've made a couple of changes, which include the SME 345 arm I robbed off my Avid at the time, and an AT33PTG cartridge.

Again, thank you Ki for this great table!

It's good to know the old TD124 still making beautiful music for you. My main turntable now is the Oracle Delphi Mk IV with a SME 309 arm and Denon 103R. I am happy with the setup.

Ki

Pete, that is a big difference in Denon 103R and Orto Black! I'm assuming you had a major setting change on your phono pre as well? I can see how going from a 5.5 MM to a HOMC 2.5 in the 10X5 would be a closer sound but now I'm wondering how big a shift I'll have going from a Dyn 20XL to an Orto 2M Black will be? I have heard Seti's Orto Blue on his 12" Jelco/301 and it sounded very fluid and quite, I was very impressed with this $200 MM cart. I have been considering a 2M Black ever since hearing Ian's and would like to try one so I have a nice LOMC and smooth MM.

I had a eastern electric mini max phono stage at the time I did that test. It had high mc, low mc and mm inputs. I still have the 2m black and the zu. The zu is still my favorite. Its performance has been boosted by the use of a ortofon as309s arm and a step up transformer into the mm input of my conrad johnson PV5. My second choice is a benz mico ace high output. Sorry I do not know antyhing about the 20xl.