Quest for Cable

Goon

I'm looking for opinions on good cable to biwire my front CF-3s.

Just spent a week auditioning AudioQuest CV-4. I thought the cable made my speakers actually too harsh and brought out too much high end.

Can I take a quick poll and ask what cable you guys use for your mains?

Any answers would be appreciated.

I am using AudioQuest Indigo Bi-wires. I have't played much with other wires because I was missing my jumpers for my KLF-30's. I got them in the mail today so I will try them sometime without them. I have a Yamaha RX-V2200 and it sounds good to me. With some cd's it will shut down at high volume (-25 db). When I turn the receiver back on the display says check speaker wires.

quote:

Originally posted by talktoKeith:

Hey Goon! Try el cheapo 12/14 ga monster type twisted.See if if tames the harshness and,as usual,report back.Please.

Keith

i don't know why i just quoted you... any ways, i use the radio shack monster cable speaker wire, it is in a similar container as monster cable, and i have read that it is the same... it works for me Smile.gif 50 feet of 14 or 16 guage is $39

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Hmmm. Plain monster type twisted huh?

I take it you guys don't necessarily buy into the expensive cable thing. I've heard/read varying opinions on the effectiveness of higher priced cables versus plain twisted monster type stuff.

I've run Monster CX2 ($75/pr, not biwired) since I've had my epics, but I'm looking to biwire now.

I'll give some plain twisted a try this weekend. Maybee it'll satisfy me, and save the $200-$300 I was budgeting for new cables.

Any other thoughts?

Goon, the value of cables seems to increase as one approaches the point of diminishing returns and yet is determined to milk every nuance of audio quality of one's audio "investment"... realizing of course that it is an investment in one's happiness and not one of financial concerns.

Two basic facts seem to stand out in my experience with speaker runs. Large diameter stranded copper to minimize resistance and gold contacts to minimize oxidation. Both those concerns can be faced cost effectively at Radio Shack.

I have to admit that I reach a bit higher... particularly on interconnects where nuances have a much greater impact on the result. Hope you're a wire-to-wire winner... HornEd

I have to agree with HornEd here....Decent quality speaker wire should do you good. If your going to spend some bucks spend it on interconnects, they can really work wonders. I have Epic CF-2's and I replaced some early nineties Esoteric audio cables with some new Transparent Audio interconnects and it was just jaw dropping. I couldn't believe how much difference a couple pair of interconnects could make. I also was loaned a pair of 800.00 speaker cable from Transparent and to tell you the truth I really wasn't able to tell much difference besides the Transparents did lower noise a tad, but you could only tell on certain discs. The cable they were being compared to our Esoteric Audios, probably around 80.00 for the pair, can't remember exactely...good luck

quote:

Originally posted by talktoKeith:

Hey Goon! Try el cheapo 12/14 ga monster type twisted.See if it tames the harshness and,as usual,report back.Please.

Keith

I used the 10 guage Monster cables to bi-wire my Klipsch Reference and I noticed an improvement in the tightness and clarity of the sound. The high frequencies midrange were clearer at lower volumes the bass was more defined. There was no harshness prior to bi-wiring so I wasn't looking for an improvement in that area.

This message has been edited by Jack be Knimble on 02-27-2002 at 11:12 AM

Well someone asked me to report back on this, so I figured I should.

At the moment, what I've done is the reverse of what most of you recommended, although I am still not done with this cable experiment.

Instead of going with plain 12/14 gauge monster type twisted, I bought the much more expensive monster 1.4 biwire cable ($225 for a 10' pair) I had been looking at. I figured I could just return them if I didn't like them. The difference is incredible over my previous non-biwired monster cvx 2. Everything improved A LOT. Highs are not as harsh, midrange is MUCH more defined and dynamic, and bass response is tighter. All in all, in my opinion, an improvement drastic enough to justify the expense.

Just for comparisons sake, I am still planning on picking up a spool of 12/14 gauge plain monster twisted, and biwiring with that to compare the expensive versus cheaper cable.

I'll report back on that later.

Just keeping anyone who is interested (is anybody?) informed.

------------------

Klipsch Epic CF-3s

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch RS-3 II Surrounds

Sunfire MKIV True Sub

Integra 8.2 Receiver

Pioneer DVD player

Monster Cable Interconnects and Speaker Cable

JVC 32' TV

Try biwiring with the cheap twisted to the lows and your old AQ CV-4 to the hi's.And let us know what you hear.Think of how much time and trouble you're saving the rest of us. :^)

Keith

Just a simple guy, but I seem to remember that current squared times the cable resistance is the voltage drop across the length of a wire. I found "Monster like", clear 14 gauge twisted pair, at the local Home Depot for $.32/ft (along with some misc. 2x4's).

Granted we are dealing with AC and it's not really that simple, however, the audio frequencies are fairly low and capacitance and inductance should not be much of an concern (unless you coil up a several dozen feet).

I'm not an expert, however, I would be real surprized if you could measure a difference much less hear it. I think this topic becomes more important when you spend 5 firgures for speakers and must compensate with the most expensive cable.

Don't confuse cost with value and don't forget Ohm's law!!!

I ended up making the chris venhaus diy speaker cables ( http://www.geocities.com/venhaus1/diycatfivecables.html ) and then put my own insulation and protection layer around them and finished it off with some WBT banana and spade connectors (overkill but it was fun). I found that made a significant difference. Whether or not it was worth the hours of labor is debatable but it did the following things...

Sound is more open

Bass is clearer (the cheap monster cable i used before made things punchy)

More transparent

Just my two cents.

FarmerKid, I'm no expert either.I do know that if I hit my thumb with a 3 pound hammer it will hurt.I don't need a calculator or sliderule to tell me.

I also know the sound that the Epic's give and when using a wire such as the AQ that Goon tried you will generally get much better clarity and better definition,especially with speakers such as the Epics or Reference.Sometimes too much,as Goon found.

Everyone keeps comparing $.32 cent/ft. wire with wire costing thousands.Good wire can make a considerable difference(ask Goon)without spending much money.One must find the right wire for their set-up.

BTW, be careful with that cheap HD wire.The plastic cover will split easily and possibly cause a short.Best to use protection such as heatshrink tubing.

Good luck to all in the quest.(the audioquest,that is)

Keith

Keith, unfortunately I don't have the AudioQuest CV4 anymore to try that out. Had to return it to the store.

I'll still try the 12/14 gauge monster when I get a chance though.

Famerkid, I'd have to say I always let my ears do the decision making when it comes to audio. On the technical side, you may be right. I don't know and don't claim to know about the specifics of signal transfer over cables. For me its just about what I hear. The more expensive cable made an audible difference worth $225 - to me. They'll go back if the 12/14 gauge monster accomplishes the same or very near the same. We'll soon see.

------------------

Klipsch Epic CF-3s

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch RS-3 II Surrounds

Sunfire MKIV True Sub

Integra 8.2 Receiver

Pioneer DVD player

Monster Cable Interconnects and Speaker Cable

JVC 32' TV