60 hours to get a custom built computer

About 60 hours ago, I called my computer guy and ordered a new computer. I told him what I do with my computer and what I wanted in it, and he ordered the parts. An hour ago I sat down for the first time with it and it's working really well!

I'm not real technical on this stuff, but my old computer had 1gb ram and this one has 3gb, I've got a ridiculously huge hard drive, and a dual core processor. With his labor to build the computer and switch everything over from my old computer to this one, all total $886. That's not including the monitor, printer, keyboard, and mouse, all of which I could still use from my old setup.

I did some research on operating systems, and MS is coming out with Windows 7 October 22nd. They've got a Beta download that you can use for free until sometime in 2010, so we downloaded it and burned it on a DVD and I'm using it now. I like it so far.

I love these young computer guys, they are amazing. He's on my computer setting things up so fast I can't even keep up watching him. No talking, just a lot of keys being hit and clicking of the mouse. It's like he can't stop. I see him clicking on stuff that he's just reading, but it's just a habit, sort of like a quarterback tapping the ball with his left hand before launching it to a receiver with his right. He's got 14 different windows open and he's switching back and forth between them, looking on forums to find a driver for my scanner, downloading something to get my Norton up and running, setting up my preferences, and every once in a while he's texting someone on his cell phone, all at the same time!

Greg

Greg...as an employee at a small VAR computer shop probably similar to where you got yours, I am glad to hear you had a positive experience. I can also say as much as you are happy with the product and service, your computer guy is probably equally greatful for your business as well. With computers becoming more disposable and cheaper every year, the business of custom built computers and actual service is getting lost, and we really appreciate our customers, especially ones that will go the extra mile to get something from you. I have sold maybe a dozen computers in the last month, a slight pickup from the first half of the year. Most of my work is just boring repair and in my case just working at businesses, but every computer tech's favorite customer is one that trusts them to build them a system.

I can never tell anyone I can compete with a big box store on price...however our shop warranties our systems for 3 years at no additional markup or charge over what we did when we only did so for one year...we looked at the warranty return rate over the first 5 years our company has been open and it was so rare for issues during years 2-3, we decided that it would not be an issues for us, and by the time best buy sells you a 3 year warranty on a computer, the price difference is probably a wash. The difference is the service, because we actually appreciate your business rather than just see dollar signs. A good case in point...guy buys laptop from best buy 14 months ago for his daughter...the keyboard stops working and the geek squad tells him the motherboard was bad...starts shopping him for a new one. The guy brings it in to me because it was the second time it happened and he wanted to buy one from us. Long story short, loose keyboard cable...best buy tried to sell him a new one, I gave up probably a $1000 sale in exchange for a diagnostic fee and $30 in labor...but he will come back from now on, and I will treat him right every time.

Anyways, thanks for shopping local even though sometimes it is hard, you will enjoy your purchase and be satisfied with your purchase, it will probably last longer, and one of my fellow techie brothers can buy food for his family, and hopefully some Klipsch speakers too!

With one exception---Norton is poisen to a computers speed---slows it down by 20% and after uninstall leaves about 300 files on your system which means you have to re-load Windows 7 to get rid of those files.

JJK

I build my own computer now, the more that I look at how things are made the fact is I am more and more tempted to build it myself. The car I drive I recently switch lightbulbs and found out how ridiculously easy it was to remove the bumper. (12 plastic clips, 4 philipshead screws) Computers, everything is basically plug and play, even the cpu.

With one exception---Norton is poisen to a computers speed---slows it down by 20% and after uninstall leaves about 300 files on your system which means you have to re-load Windows 7 to get rid of those files.

JJK

Yeah, I've noticed that. But with the thousands of hours I've spent browsing all over the internet, I've never picked up even one virus that Norton didn't take care of promptly. No issues whatsoever, and that's worth a lot to me. I used to use Mcafee, but their customer support was so bad, that I couldn't even figure out how to extend my subscription. Norton was easy, I can see clearly how many more days I have of protection, and it's easy to extend. It's also very easy to see and figure out what the system is doing. I don't want to mess with a good thing.

Greg

Yeah its great to have someone you know and trust to help you out. Not to toot my own whistle, but one of my hobbies is building computers and I will say it is sooo much more satisfying knowing you put together your own comp, especially if you do a lot of work on it. I built a couple computers for two of my bosses this year and they said they couldn't be more happy with the end product.

This is a side note, but a really good anit virus software that I use is Kaspersky. The interface is pretty simple, and it doesn't hurt system resources that much either.

JJK

Yeah, I've noticed that. But with the thousands of hours I've spent browsing all over the internet, I've never picked up even one virus that Norton didn't take care of promptly. No issues whatsoever, and that's worth a lot to me. I used to use Mcafee, but their customer support was so bad, that I couldn't even figure out how to extend my subscription. Norton was easy, I can see clearly how many more days I have of protection, and it's easy to extend. It's also very easy to see and figure out what the system is doing. I don't want to mess with a good thing.

Greg

As far as Norton goes, I've found the Ultimate, and it's only $40.00 per year, Buy it at wal-mart, target, etc. Defender Pro 15 in one. Updates hourly and works great.

Where do you work Ace? I saw you mention Illinois in another post and I've been looking for a new computer shop to recommend to people. There was a shop my family was using for many years because they offerred great service, but they got bought out and the new owner is an idiot.

Although I'm fully capable of putting together my own computers, I like supporting the local PC shop....mostly because there's always those times where you need something on the same day and the only way that can happen is if the brick and mortars stay around. It's also nice to have a place to send people when I'm too busy to help them.

Re: Antivirus software.....

I've been running with no antivirus software on my laptop and my desktop for the last few years and I've had no problems whatsoever. You just have to be smart with how you use the Internet. My computers also run way faster because of it too....boot times are like 30 seconds and I never notice things slowing down. It also saves money too.....

Mike, as for no A/V software...if you know what you are doing it is as simple as that. No overhead, no cost, and no BS. I have only gotten 1 virus (technically spyware) in the last 5 years (rogue link looking at pics of console radios none the less haha), but I know how to fix it when it does happen. I peronsally like AVG Free 8.5...free is good and it has both spyware and virus protection...usually what I recommend to friends.

I live in Bloomington, which is downstate, and probably useless to most people. There used to be a good shop in Vernon Hills (same plaza as best buy...next to where the Ben and Jerry's is) They may still be there, but think they are gone now. I do still have several friends and techs in the greater chicagoland area since I used to live up there, so I will ask around. I am sure there is someone keeping busy, but a good local VAR is hard to do up there just because of the cost of rent/lease/own of property...you can price yourself right out of the market just trying to break even.

But, as always, getting good advice is half the battle, and myself and several other people on the boards I am sure are more than willing to give advice. You can get a virus and take it to me and I will get rid of it for $100, but I could also give you about 3 step instructions that will kill about 95% of everything out there, you just need to know what to do. If I find anything up north (assuming you are in or near skokie) I will post back. ACE