What makes a good center between Cornwalls?

TheEvan

My son is putting together an HT, a realm I know little of. He has Cornwall II for the fronts, Heresy I for rears. I get the idea that the center is all-important for clarity of dialog and such. I was thinking either a Cormwall on its side used as a stand for the flat screen or perhaps a LaScala used as a stand.

Another question...will the magnet structures of either of these mess with the picture? If so, how does one ameliorate the effect?

As you probably know, there is a "vertical Cornwall" available from time-to-time on the used market, but they're not available new anymore. I supposed you could make a vertical Cornwall by replacing the front face of an older Cornwall with the vertical configuration, but this might be challenging if you are not a woodworker. I'm sure that someone on this forum could give you dimensions of the driver locations in the vertical Cornwall.

A secondary choice, but still very desirable, would be a Heresy mounted on the floor, i.e., not on a stand or above the TV. I would also recommend a Heresy I (HI) over a HII, but the HIII is probably preferred to the HI.

I think the answer to your second question is - potentially a problem for a CRT-based TV of large dimensions. Probably not as much of an issue with flat panel LCDs. The way I would deal with the problem would be to shield all the connections to the center speaker's drivers, and add a bit more ferromagnetic material (like iron and steel) around the magnet structure to capture some of the stray fields. I'm sure that a Google search will turn up multiple ways to do this.

Chris

I am pretty sure LCD and plasma's don't have issue with magnets, I have put alot of speakers close to flatscreens and never seen any fluctions.

I know a few people that needed the mag sheild have found them, I forget what they are called.

If an extra CW can be aquired that is the way to go, either hoz. or modded to vert.