FLAC

MistaChy

Most excellent. I set my stuff up a few years ago and it was not 'easy'. It was fun, but not easy. Glad they are moving to supply software and hardware for the audio enthusiast. You should not have any problems playing DD and DTS files if all is well.

correct, i play files through WinDVD and PowerDVD and i use virtual clone drive for my ISO files, and I get full DTS and DD surround sound... but i dont get trueHD or DTS: Master. that sucks

the only difficulty i faced in setting up the FLAC was knowing which player to use and which driver to download. ASIO didnt work, kept crashing, so i used WASAPI... and walla... brilliance

i guess the main thing was just having a really good HD HDMI video/sound card capable of playing the bitstream. it goes up to 192hGz/24bit... and all i had to do was select that as output device and connect the HDMI cable to the receiver... and get the WASABI drivers for Foobar

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I want to know is fully lossless from what? An already compromised source? Is it just a way to do the same thing we all do except easier once you have it set up?

what source do you feel is compromised?

If all you are getting is lossless from an already over compressed cd then i am not impressed. Sure its convenient, just like cd's are more convenient than lp's. But listening to cd's is already bad enough. I guess flac doesn't make it any worse at least.

What I want to know is fully lossless from what? An already compromised source? Is it just a way to do the same thing we all do except easier once you have it set up?

what source do you feel is compromised?

If all you are getting is lossless from an already over compressed cd then i am not impressed. Sure its convenient, just like cd's are more convenient than lp's. But listening to cd's is already bad enough. I guess flac doesn't make it any worse at least.

well im unaware of anything better than cd quality... enlighten me??

The DAC was the pivotal piece of equipment in the mix for me. Here is my progression with comments.

Started with a PC cards (soundbaster). Ok sound

standard internal Apple Mini sound card, a little better than the PC

M-Audio audiophile external interface. Best so far and allows needle drop recording. Started with Apple lossless file format.

Wavelength Brick. High quality. Just shy of my Cayin hybrid CD player. This will be hard (and expensive) to beat.

I went to from high bit rate MP3 to Apple lossless at about the time I got the M-Audio. I do not think I would have heard the quality change in the higher density files until I got the M-audio or the Wavelength.

Ripping my cd's was the biggest pain, but well worth it. I have never had to go pick one out again. I have over 500 cd's and those took a long while to rip. What software are you using? I use dbPoweramp. It rocks as not only a ripper, but also a music converter. Very powerful program. Also links with outside databases to obtain cover art.

I really like ripstation micro it makes things alot faster and simpler. It is all automated so all you do is pop in a disc it downloads album information begins ripping automatically and ejects when its finished then you just keep inserting discs for it to continue.

The olive takes about 1 1/2 minutes max to copy a CD, then in the background coverts it to FLAC, so the CD can be ejected to free up the player so you can load another and start the process up. It looks up the Meta data and ablum art work off of a service it come linked to. Still would agree it took me a while to load 700 plus CDs, but I didn't rush.

How do these programs deal with error correction. I notice a huge difference in some CDs rips with and without error correction enabled in itunes. The rip time is also longer when it is enabled. I will get a stack and feed them while doing other computer work. I have ripped everything that interests me at my local library I will try the next towns collection soon.

I can't believe so many people are using raid 0 for music storage. File serving does not require a lot of read or write speed. If one drive goes, the entire array goes. I know RAID 1 has the issue of losing 50% of capacity, but RAID 5 is nice with n-1 capacity. If you do not have backups of your music, even just 3 seperate hard drive would be better because if one drive fails you only lose what is on that one drive, not all 3. I know if I ripped several terabytes of music, I would be slightly concerned about safegurading that time and effort.

Agreed. There are bettter array setups for redundancy. I do not have an array setup, but I do have a portable SATA drive backup of the drive containing my music. I don't want to have to re-rip all my cd's. Losing that would really be horrible. A 3 drive setup with RAID 5 is the real answer.

I really like ripstation micro it makes things alot faster and simpler. It is all automated so all you do is pop in a disc it downloads album information begins ripping automatically and ejects when its finished then you just keep inserting discs for it to continue.

dbPowerAmp works similarly and is very flexible in terms of error correction wanted and the various databases used for cover art etc. It also has a batch function if you have a professional setup.