2 subs

AppleJD

I have the chance to get two subs for my home theater. I have 3 sub in total and whatever i do not use in the main home theater will go to my quintet sl set. Here is the setup for my home theater.

Posted Image

I want to add either another Sub-12 or have the current sub -12 with a sub-10. I would like some opions about connecting the subs to a reciever with only one sub out. I have a Sony DG820 reciever but may change out for the DH800. What do u guys think?

Thanks

• Moderators

I would like some opions about connecting the subs to a reciever with only one sub out.

Adding multiple subs would just require using a "Y" adapter from the receiver to split the signal to send to the two subs since the subs have their own amp to drive the speakers.

Stick with the same model, and yes both up front and they don't necessarily need to be in corners though. I would spread you mains out further and put them in the corners and put the subwoofers on the inside of them.

Finding the right spot(s) for a sub or subs can take a fair bit of experimenting. The logical place for them is between the main speakers. That will look symmetrical and not make the low bass sound separate from the mid-bass, but depending on your particular listening room, that may or may not be the best spot for them. Try them in a few different spots, ideally near the main speakers, and see what sounds best to you.

The important thing is to get a smooth bass response, with as few dips and peaks as possible. Getting the loudest bass is less important, because you can adjust that with the sub volume level. Sometimes when you find a spot that gives the strongest bass, there's a big peak at one particular frequency, and that's harder to correct.

Timing will be a problem, though you probably won't notice the latency. Prolly not a problem daisy chaining 3 active subs, but no way on three passive. Also, I agree not to mix sizes becuase the waves from the odd sub out may be in conflict with the other two if they aren't all firing/resetting in perfect unison.