Who has experience with Transcendent amplifiers?

jwc

I might......just might...pull the trigger on a T16. I already have one of their Grounded Grid Preamps coming. I've been browsing that website and reading the reviews for so long.....I'm tired of it. I'm just gonna have to try them out.

The SET OTL they have is the beauty amp but I don't think this will be enough power and I've also heard and read that noise can be picked up on high efficiency speakers. Besides....I'm gonna active EQ some for the K402 and K510 and I will need more power.

I already seem to have the inputs and outputs on my active XO and EQ set where I get no noise mixing with non-pro equipment (RCA). So I'm gonna try further.

The Beast seems to be very popular although pricey.....I think that will be too much and not necessary for the first try.

So...those out there...please chime in on you experience...first and formost....tell me about hiss and noise. I can't stand that stuff.

I've heard of Daddy Dee's opinions in the past and Coytee's. Is Kevmosmith still posting?

IBSlammin...I'm sure you are going to find humor in this post......

jc

jc,

I think the T-16 would be a good choice. I know I had talked some about the SE OTL and it is pretty amazing. Erik Mandaville build one of my SE OTL's and there is something sort of tempermental about the wiring being susceptible to noise. Erik made adjustments to the wire paths with a chopstick to get them optimized. Never did have a problem with noise, though on the Khorns running in stereo or as bridged monoblocks. I do think you are right in thinking they are a little on the underpowered side.

I used a T-16 with my Khorns as was pleased with the sound. The Transcendent amps have their own signature / reference sound. Don't really know how to describe it. It is fast, full, clean. Definitely not bloated, but it doesn't sound to my ears, clinical, like some describe SS.

One thing I appreciate about Bruce R's designs. The tubes don't cost of fortune to replace.

BTW, I never have heard the GG preamp, but have heard nothing but complimentary comments on it's sound.

You know my thoughts.

I'd suggest to you that sonically you will probably love the quality of the sound they put out. I wonder if they'll have enough oomph though? That was my problem with the SE-OTL's (which by the way, were Dee's prior [Y])

I loved the sound from the SE-OTL, just needed more horsepower from it.

I guess it all goes back to trade-offs.

Keep us informed!!

If you don't like it... and are up in my area, I might be interested in giveing it a listen as I've been considering that amp too BUT, unsure if it would have enough oomph. (even while being strictly on the K402)

I appreciate the responses so far. I'm looking forward to trying these.

I'll probably have the GG in a few weeks. Haven't pulled the trigger on the T16 yet. I was hoping others here that have heard it will jump in.

jc

I know you know my thoughts...but I thought I'd put my feelings this way....

I really liked the sound of the SE-OTL's. I therefore, presume to really like the sound of the larger models which I have not heard. If I KNEW that the T16 had enough power for me (when I'm working outside and things are cranked) I'd have one in a heartbeat, maybe even two.

It's my uncertainty that I might not really prefer a larger model...however, I DO really think the Beast is a bit excessive for strict use on the K402. I wish he had one more in the middle.

I also wish I'd not sold the SE-OTL's prior to hearing and then buying the Jubilees. I've got a Niles A/B and they might have been just fine for normal to moderate listening and I could have used the Niles to bring the Crown's in when needed.

• 5 weeks later...

I've had the GG preamp now for about 3 weeks.

Initially, had it in front of a pro active XO on big horns. Results were poor no matter what I did to modify input and output gains.

Now, I have it in in front of my referbed MC250 and Klipsch reference RF-52's. I am very pleased. Clean, solid bass and no noise at all. Couldn't be happier.

Still waiting on the T16 amp.

jc

that t16 has alot of tubes is all of that necessary(looks cool). maybe I am looking at the wrong amp.

duder

Yep that's it. lots of tube.

It is a matter of design, not for cosmetics, though it does look pretty cool.

One thing that is really nice is that replacement tubes are not expensive, relatively speaking.