There's "Snow" telling what some people will do to get good audio

picky

Check this out from the "Great White North": Last year, some Michigan Tech students fancied a 20,000 watt horn system our of SNOW! That's right, I said SNOW! Sorry if this has been posted here before, but this is the first time I've seen it. Amazing. I wonder how it sounded.....other than L-O-U-D!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/14/michigan-tech-students-craft-20-000-watt-snow-horn/

post-10177-13819487750974_thumb.jpg

Guest larouchea

This is actually not the first horn constructed by the Michigan Tech Chapter of the Audio Engineering Society. As former President of the MTU chapter I can assure you that this horn is always a major task for the group. They spend about one Month constructing the horn in their free time between classes and in the evenings. Actually, the first snow horn we created was back in 2000 I believe. I was President at the time and we wanted to do something to boost our enrollment in the student chapter. There was quite a response. We played the horn all night during the Winter Carnival "All Nighter" Party. Literally we played the system from 8pm until about 8am. We had complaints and praises from up to a half mile away. We did gain some great support for our student organization. It was such a success that the chapter has constructed some version of the horn each Winter Carnival since that year. The configuration changes each year but the spirit remains the same. High SPL with low input. YEA HORNS!!!

Andre