Internet Purchases & Klipsch Warranty

BHZ Boy

Confusion reigns. Klipsch tells me on the phone that only internet two sites are "Authorized" distributors of Klipsch products - Tweeter and UBID. However, an e-mail I received from Matt Whatley at Klipsch tells me that only UBID is authorized. Then, I read on the Klipsch web site that I could call and they MAY "reinstate" the Klipsch warranty if I buy from an internet site.

Is it safe to buy from some of the internet vendors for Klipsch product? I have checked out several on BizRate and Gomez and BBB and many come back very well regarded for their business practices. Some of course do not.

Anyone with some insight - PLEASE advise. Thanks.

My lay interpretation of this is that UBID is the only one authorized to sell product over the Internet to a customer anywhere they choose to ship to. Tweeter (and actually any other Klipsch dealer) may place product on a web site, but are restricted to selling only in areas within the reach of their own delivery trucks (versus shipping via UPS/FEDEX/etc...).

Many sellers of Klipsch product on the 'net are gray market, buying their goods from authorized dealers at fire sale/distress pricing and offering their own "factory warranty equivalent," which requires all repairs to be performed by the seller (by shipping back to them) or by someone they pay to do the work. It is unlikely you could take a Klipsch product purchased from a gray market reseller to any authorized Klipsch dealer for warranty work.

Like all things - you pay your money and you take your choice. You have to answer the question for yourself -- is the (typically) higher cost of authorized dealers warranted by your perceived value of warranty repair?

Doug

------------------

My System

doug, i think many like uncle's use authorized dealers for their purchase (they're the middleman). so say on my b&k it would go from me to uncle's to X authorized dealer to the factory for repair (or maybe just from uncle's to the factory since they bot from an authorized dealer). certainly is a lil gray though. cwm3.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

And don't expext it to be a quick turn around time either. I called Uncle's to get a new crossover (long story there) on Feb. 11, 02. I have still yet to see it. Although the person handling it said that Klipsch can be very slow in getting something out. I know that's (B)arbara (S)treisand because I've gotten non-warranty parts from Klipsch from Hope to Cincinnati in about a week. A package going from Hope to NYC to Cinti. should only take no more than 12 days. Since it crosses the Mississippi River, that takes a week right there, I don't know why. Then from NYC to home should take no more than three to four days.

The parts dept. at Uncle's swears it was ordered the same day I called it in.

Shoot- it took me five phone calls and three weeks just to get a copy of the sales receipt!

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 02-28-2002 at 04:29 PM

BHZ Boy,

I see what you are referring to in the official Klipsch "Unauthorized Dealers" statement posted on this site. The statement contains this comment:

"...Some unauthorized resellers remove serial numbers and warranty registration cards or replace our mailing address with their own to avoid detection. For that reason, if your new Klipsch product has no serial number or warranty card or if the mailing address on the card is not P.O. Box 688, Hope, AR 71802 you need to contact us immediately as you currently have no warranty with Klipsch. Please call 800-klipsch to inquire about the process for possible warranty reinstatement."

It might be beneficial if BobG or PhilH (or other Klipsch factory representative)could comment on this statement. My understanding of the "Official Klipsch Policy" as explained on this board is the same as that posted by dougdrake2 earlier.

As far as turn around time goes, my experience has been that warranty repairs I have had done were turned around by the good folks at Hope in just a few days. Turnaroud time has greatly exceeded my expectations (I am located east of the Mississippi).

We have heard from several different customers who have purchased from unauthorized sources and have been subjected to textbook cases of deplorable customer service. Some of these customers have even bought from sites with the highest customer satisfaction ratings too (makes you wonder how easy it is to rate these sites). Just last month a new site appeared (and was rated and listed in a search engine)was up for afew weeks and POOF...it was all of a sudden gone. Again, I'll state that if you would be comfortable making a major purchase from some guy selling merchandise out of the back of his van, then you should consider buying from an unauthorized seller. Now add the fact that you're buying from someone in cyberspace who is even more difficult to find physically if you have a problem (especially when they disappear overnight)AND that place that may be,or is,suddenly gone has your credit card information.

We posted the statement in question to try and help a customer when we can. Can we always help?? Unfortunately not. Do not become locked into a situation where you have no alternative for future help other than the site you originally bought it from!If the problem is damaged, nonworking merchandise when you receive it and the website is now nowhere to be found or is "Up for Sale" when you go back to it,what now?? If you have a legitimate Klipsch serial number on your product, we may be able to help you with warranty issues (unfortunately the above example is not a warranty issue). If you have altered or removed serial numbers on your product...SEND THE MERCHANDISE BACK IMMEDIATELY TO THE SITE YOU BOUGHT IT FROM!!! (A call to 1-800-KLIPSCH will help determine if the serial number you have is legitimate or not.)

Doug's summary of the situation is basically correct. If you are unsure if the site is authorized just call 1-800-KLIPSCH and we can provide the answer.

PhilH

This message has been edited by PhilH on 03-01-2002 at 04:24 PM

Phil,

Frankly your answer confuses me more.

You seem to drag internet merchants as a whole as "people working out of the back of a van," yet you know as do I that many are out there who have been in legitimate business for years. I don't mean to go the other way and throw all the internet merchants into a "great company" category, but you seem to be relying more on scaring me the customer over the integrity of the internet merchant as opposed to my real concern as to whether you will honor the Klipsch warranty or not.

Clearly, a removed or altered serial number knocks the warranty out of the box. But, would you please address the situation whereby I buy (via internet) Klipsch speakers with the "real" serial numbers still on. Will you honor it?

I have called and e-mailed your site. I have gotten the following answers as to who is Klipsch authorized internet dealers:

1 - Just UBID, then next time I was told...

2 - UBID and TWEETER@OUTPOST, then...

3 - Just Vanns, WOLOP and YAWA, then...

4 - Kiefs.

You get the idea... I truly can't discern what the REAL answer is. Is the bottom line whether or not it has a Klipsch serial number on it or not?

I look forward to your reply.

I bought a center channel ( SC-1 ) and my mains ( SB-3 )

All from brandnamez.com they told me ( the warrantee is

valid because they buy from an authorized dealer then sell for less)

I dont know how true that is or not. But My products

arrived in mint condition full wrapped in Klipcsh boxes,

all manuals warranty cards etc. Is there a way I can

submit my serial numbers and see where they actually

came from. All my products came 100% perfect. I would

of ordered from a dealer but dealers wanted $425 for my

SB-3s which i got for $308 shipped and my SC-1 they

wanted $275 or so and I got it shipped for $175

All my products arrived 100% perfect and play 100% perfect.

I just couldnt afford them at store prices vs what I could

find them for online.

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

Sony STR-DE975 HT Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

This message has been edited by QUiKSR20 on 03-01-2002 at 04:58 PM

Everyone With Questions:

I wish we could actually post sites that can or cannot sell to you on the Internet as a Klipsch customer, but for reasons that would take me typing into tomorrow afternoon (OK I'm not a data entry speed typer), it would be too difficult and, believe it or not, even more confusing to figure out. A blanket statement saying all serial numbered product we can cover is also not possible because there are some very sneaky Internet sellers out there who try to make the number look as legitimate as they can. Please just call 1-800-KLIPSCH if you want to know if a particular Internet seller is authorized to sell Klipsch or not. You can even private message me if you like and I'll be happy to answer your question.

PhilH