Recommended Speakers For High School Band Room

BLSamuel

I was talking to Alea's high school band director at the Brickyard 400 Sunday (the band boosters manned ice cream stands as a fund raiser) and it came up that he was working to get a pair of good sounding speakers for the band room. I don't think they currently have anything at this time. He sounded like it was in the pipeline to happen sometime soon or within the next year or. Of course with the current mess the economy is in it may not happen anytime soon unless the funds are already allocated.

Naturally I told him he needs to find some Klipsch speakers. Even some used Klipsch as I'm sure their budget won't be very big.

He guesses the band room is approximately 35' wide by 25' or 30' deep with approximately 10' ceilings. Kind of small when all 70 or so kids are in the room but for marching band 10 or more of those would be color guard so maybe a few less for concert band.

I would think a pair of LaScalas, Cornwalls, or similar preferably professional models though I'd think standard home models would work fine but think the often more durable profession versions would be a better choice. I'm not sure that even a professional form of a Heresy such as a KP250 or HIP wouldn't work well though a bit deeper bass would probably be desired. Not being an expert I'd think a pair (or two) of LSI or KP362 would be ideal.

I want to give him some ideas before they go buy something that won't sound near as good as if they'd spent half as much on some vintage Klipsch. In my dreams they'd have a big budget (yeah right though I think they did spend +- $1200 (or maybe it was $600) per pair of PA speakers for each soccer field and softball field (12" 2 way Community PA horns with Tascam CD/Cassette player and 300w + 300w Peavey mixer/amp). Of course the band if they get any funds at all probably won't get as much.

Maybe I should take him to visit Roadie's so he can hear just how good Klipsch professional speakers can sound.

What would everyone here recommend?

Something like the KPT884 / LSI that Alliclaytor was recently selling would be an awesome set up.... wonder if that's still for sale? I doubt they'd have enough of a budget for a pair of KPT884 and a pair of LSI. That would rock the band room ....

Hmmm... I'd have thought the KI/P 362 would've head better bass but guess it was designed to be used with a subwoofer? Would probably still work quite well with what they'll need though not much more bass than a KP 250 / HIP. Maybe a KP 301 or CP1 would be a good second choice.

My high school band hall had four Klipsch Heresys, the chamber choir had two (that I could see) and the symphony had some LaScalas. These were bought brand new, there were ivory white with the shiniest finish you ever did see. They were so beautiful and it made me sad they were too high for me to touch :D

Are you sure about the dimensions of the room?

I have a pair of speakers (built them myself... a really long time ago) that I've been debating what to do with. You could have them for free if you come pick them up... I'm not too far from Kokomo.

They need crossovers, but I might be able to whip something up. 30'x30' room shouldn't be a problem for them.

Yes Dee. This is a great forum! (Just for the help and friendship much less passing things on).

Are you sure about the dimensions of the room?

I have a pair of speakers (built them myself... a really long time ago) that I've been debating what to do with. You could have them for free if you come pick them up... I'm not too far from Kokomo.

They need crossovers, but I might be able to whip something up. 30'x30' room shouldn't be a problem for them.

I'm not at all sure on the room dimensions and have only been in the band room once or twice but the band director's estimate 35' x 25' or 30' with 10' ceilings seems pretty close.

For free how could they go wrong? I'm sure I could pick them up and get them to the school. It'd be great if you could put together some crossovers... I could probably assemble them assuming relatively simple but not sure I remember how to read a schematic. I've sent you a PM. I'll check to see if the band director wants them. I don't know why not but you never know. He's not responded to my emails from earlier in the week but it's band camp week so he's pretty busy.

Thanks,

Ben