capacitor plague

Daddy Dee

Wow, that's exactly what just took down my computer. Luckily, I noticed that something was going on with my computer and I got everything backed up in time. Of course the hard drive was still fine, so I guess I wouldn't have lost anything anyway.

Greg

I know of two IBM motherboards with faulty caps. IBM replaced the boards, even though they were out of warranty. I was impressed.

I have seen this on some video cards as well. We have some Dells (long out of warranty), that have had strange issues. When we have replaced the PS, the problems have gone away. Even with $30 power supplies...

Bruce

So the guys doing the industrial espionage didn't get all of the ingredients? Looks good on them, but it's sad for the customers.

It wasn't the first time something like that has happened. It's been widely reported that the Tupolev TU-144 supersonic airliner (the "Concordski") was built with the help of plans stolen from the French designers of the Concorde. There's a story that the designers realized that the designs were being passed on and modified them a bit, with the result that the TU-144's centre of gravity was not where it should have been, making it unstable.

The prototype crashed during its introduction at the 1973 Paris Air Show, and two other production TU-144s crashed as well. It was taken out of service not long after that.

Some info (but not the rumour) here: http://www.pilotfriend.com/photo_albums/potty/16.htm

We've thrown away something on the order of 25 Dell Optiplex 270 PIVs here in my office (of 75 originally purchased.) Just lost another one this week... We are keeping spare power supplies on the shelf at this point.

One of the failure modes is particularly fun: The North Bridge craters when a vented cap shorts one of the power rails.

Posted Image

Posted Image