CD/DVD mat?? Tweek or Snake-oil

oldenough

Give me a break. If anyone would like to buy one of these, I can make you one for half price. Taking orders now! If you act now, buy one and I will give you another for free! Share it with your friends.

I also have a weight that goes on hard disc drives to make them perform more "evenly".

It might work, and for $10 or less, I might buy one. For $80, they'll have to wait for some other sucker.

Amen! The only reason why I may even consider buying one of these is this:

Last
but not least, it enables very poor/scratched CD to work when in many
cases they will not due to excessive surface scratches and light
deflection. Case and Point, I picked a few of my completely unplayable
CD’s. Fleetwood Mac and few more, they all played. One or two skip read
errors vs. unplayable. The light scattering from the excessive
scratches was controlled, reduced and the CD’s were playable.

I have a couple of CDs that my CD player just does not seem to like for one reason or another, and wonder if this claim is true, that it might actually be worth trying for those cases. However, at $80? No thanks! Instead, I'll just rip those CD in and play them through the music server instead (seems the computer has no trouble reading them).

Plus, I see there is a disclaimer to not use it in CD changes. I have a Denon DCM-360 5-disk changer. The other CD transport in my setup, the one on the Elan VIA!dj music server is actually one of those high-speed computer reader/burners, which the site also claims this product should not be used in.

I went to a local audio get-together this past weekend put on by a dealer new to the area. Several systems with very nice gear. I was in the main room listening to the big system (I'd say ~ $150K easy, retail of course) and the demonstrator said he was going to play a couple of minutes of a song, then add a CD mat. Then he'd treat with his special spray and play again (also with the mat). All 3 times sounded the same to me, but the guy next to me was impressed. I only listened to that system for a few minutes so there certainly could have been a difference and I just didn't hear it since I wasn't familiar with it or the music. The guy was buying the mat for $120 and the spray for $100 when I was walking into the other room, so I guess he liked what he heard.

The only way this could make any difference is if the CD is in such bad shape that the error correction circuitry is having to work a lot and this product allows the laser to better read the data (pits on the substrate).

Snake oil.

Sheesh. What a load! I'll bet it will make my videos sharper, more saturated, and improve the actors, too. I'll get two more decimal places of accuracy from my spreadsheets! No more out of focus pictures!

Crikey.

If you have a CD that is physically intact but damaged such that your CD player woof on it, put it in your computer with Exact Audio Copy set to its highest error recovery level. It may take a day or two, but if there is any recoverable music on there it will get it.

Some of my childrens' CD are in their third incarnation or so from this process, though now I image anything they get before I let them have it.

Dave

Wasn't there some sort of comercially sucessful cd mat (maybe not that successful) about a decade or so ago. I recall seeing something similar...I think it was a black mat with some green patterns or writing on it. I think it was about $25 or something...might have been in stereophile...I'm sure someone has seen them before.