Choosing an amp, any suggestions...............

Have been flirting with the idea of upgrading to a better amp have a few ideas in mind:

Adcom gfa 555

Hafler DH500

Sherwood AM-7040

Yamaha m-70 or m-80

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as always I'm looking for the biggest bang for the buck. I have heard the first two and was pleasantly impressed but for the last two, I know very little about, other than what I've read. They seem to be cheished by some by are not that highly acclaimed as the first two. If you are familiar with any of the latter two please chime in and give me an honest opinion.

Thanks in advance

Sam

Yamaha has made a number of very good amps, including the MX-1 and the MX1000.

Here's an ad for a pair of MX-1s: http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17747

Manufacturer info: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200400&CTID=5002600

There are 12 reviews of the MX-1 on this site. It's the first time I've seen every single review of an item give it 5 out of 5.
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/amplifiers/yamaha/mx-1/PRD_116249_1583crx.aspx

The suggestions will be more meaningful if you tell us which speakers you will be driving. If these are for the Heresy cabinets, then 200 watt amps are certainly overkill. That is not to say that I would not do the same thing myself ....

Are you willing or able to perform simple mods on a used amp?

Since you did not list a budget, you will also get a flurry of very expensive suggestions. -Tom

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I kept searching ebay for an amp to fit the bill, and I came across an Onkyo m-5160. I searched the web and came across a few reviews and found that most people had alot good to say about this amplifier. Debated for a while, took into consideration that it appeared to have the guts to drive any of the speakers that I have in my arsenal. Was checking my email one day at work and realized that the auction was ending soon. Logged on and ending soon was an understatement, there was only a minute and change left. So I anxiously watched the countdown tick away, with about 20 seconds left I started bidding. I picked the amp up for 109.50 with shipping only $18, I had only $130 dollars in an amp that pushed out 150w/ch. Which I think is pretty reasonable. I just couldn't wait to hook it up.

I think after listening to amp initially that it has the nice tight bass, which is really pronounced when you start feeding the power to it. Not that is not noticable at lower listening levels, but really starts to kick at about 2/3 volume. I've got it driving the kg-5.5s right now, haven't given it a listen on any thing else yet, but thats soon to come. I am really looking forward to hooking it up to the homemade belles :)

I really wanted to give the Yamaha m-80 a listen to but every time that I start bidding on one it goes for over $300 dollars. Other times when I am just watching one on ebay the darn thing will only bring $180, just must luck though.

I also picked up another set of k-55-M drivers which look new for $130 so I guess it all evens out in the end ;)

Thanks to those who replied, although I watched some of the more desirable equipment, the budget always dictates what is feesible.