Building Wooden Tractix Horns

Martyn

Looking for either good books or software programs on building wooden tractix horns . I am looking at building a couple of La Scala's and were thinking about building the midrange horns out of wood and attaching either 1 or 2 inch drivers to them.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Hi Martyn, welcome to the forum.

With the help of forum member JC, I was able to figure out how to use a tractrix calculator to draw my curves of the sides and figure out the angle of the tops and bottoms. I wrote everything down in essay form so I could remember how to do it again sometime later if I chose to. I also modified the tractrix calculator to go with my essay, and it all makes sense to me. It may be helpful to you.

www.dcchomes.com/gregstractrixcalculator.html

Greg

Hi Greg

Thank you very much for the speedy reply.

The info is great and it's what I am looking for.

I have looked at the Fostex wooden horns and thought why not DIY the Midrange as per the rest of the Project.

My Father had 18 inch Khorns that were I think an Electrovoice design They were 4 way with wooden Mid Base Vitavox S2's and electrovoice Tweeters

run with Quad 2's tube days.

He origionally built the himself and they had an incredible sound.

So I thought why not on a bit smaller scale.

Regards

Martyn

Hi Greg

Thank you very much for the speedy reply.

The info is great and it's what I am looking for.

I have looked at the Fostex wooden horns and thought why not DIY the Midrange as per the rest of the Project.

My Father had 18 inch Khorns that were I think an Electrovoice design They were 4 way with wooden Mid Base Vitavox S2's and electrovoice Tweeters

run with Quad 2's tube days.

He origionally built the himself and they had an incredible sound.

So I thought why not on a bit smaller scale.

Regards

Martyn

No! Go bigger!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi Martyn, welcome to the forum.

With the help of forum member JC, I was able to figure out how to use a tractrix calculator to draw my curves of the sides and figure out the angle of the tops and bottoms. I wrote everything down in essay form so I could remember how to do it again sometime later if I chose to. I also modified the tractrix calculator to go with my essay, and it all makes sense to me. It may be helpful to you.

www.dcchomes.com/gregstractrixcalculator.html

Greg

Greg,

It seems like you are doing a lot of extra steps to get your measurements for the width.

In Erik's version if you use the Sidewall Stretched column as the distance from throat in conjunction with the Height Column you will have the width needed.

If you are drawing from a centerline you just need to multiply the Height column by 0.5

Doing it this way will give you the curve needed to make the template for the top and bottom pieces.

Keeping in mind that Erik has his horns on their sides so his Height is our width.

Peace,

Josh