K-Horns/Belles need help

blklab

Please tell me the type of music you are using for your K-Horns or Belles. After reading many of the reviews I really want to purchase a pair, however I really want to make sure that the music I tend to listen to will sound O.K. If I told all the type of music I primarily listen to I would be afraid that no one would reply. Actually what the heck, newer rock (god smack, def tones, korn, etc.), some techno dance, and older 80s stuff. All of your replies are appreciated. I just want to make sure the speakers will be a good match for my listening, and yes I have heard the saying garbage in garbage out. Are any of you using a sub?

Hello blklab,

I used to listen mostly to classic rock on my Belles, but I have re-discvered music (so to speak) and I have begun listening to a very wide variety of music.

I don't think you would ever be unhappy with a Klipsch Heritage line purchase. If you have room for K-horns I'd go with them. If not Belles or LaScalas would be my next choice. I also have a pair of Cornwalls that I really love, but they are out of service now since getting my Belles this summer.

I may just have to buy another house to put the Cornwalls in! smile.gif

blklab,

korn, godsmack, primus, rage against the machine, all sound really, really dangerous on my La Scalas biggrin.gif !!!

Seriously, once you've been through the experience of hearing how something like Pearl Jam sounds on a pair of the big Klipsh Heritage line, there's just no other speaker (not for less than 15K or so, anyway) that will do it for you anymore. One of my favourite cuts is Creep by Radiohead on the Pablo Honey album. I've never been satisfied listening to it on anyone else's system after the first time I heard it on mine.

Ray

PS if you're curious, I have 1974 vintage La Scalas with Al's crossovers installed, an ancient TEAC integrated amp of unknown output capability, probably 60ish watts, a toshiba DVD player, and a Musical Fidelity X-10D tube buffer between the DVD and the amp.

oops, for got last question you asked...

I also am using an REL Sub (Storm) to fill in the low end. The Belle and La Scala line have the same low frequency characteristics, and I can just about guarentee you that you will not be satisfied without a really good sub. The KHorn is a different animal, going almost an octave lower than Belle or La Scala, but I'd still have a sub even if I had KHorns.

Ray

blklab,

Sounds like you and I would get along just fine!I listen to the same kind of music as you do...especially like the new Godsmack Awake cd & Disturbed cd.I ran into the same question you did years ago when I wanted to purchase a set of Klipsch speakers,wasn't sure they were right for my kind of music.Klipsch literature used to show a violin on the cover...not exactly the instrument of choice for Megadeth & Metallica wink.gif

But just recently I purchased my heritage speakers,1984 Cornwalls and you know what,they play this kind of music with authority!

I don't know if your stuck on the heritage line completely but my friends legends also sound excellent with this kind of music too and there marked down right now at the local Tweeter dealer...might be worth a listen.

Jeff

blklab,

last thing first: concerning k-horn placement in a corner - no, there is not any allowance for fudging the angle off of 45 degrees. They MUST fit tightly in the corner to get proper bass performance. period. so if that's a problem, better stay with belles or la scalas.

but you know, there is some flexibility in the sweet spot. you don't have to sit right on the horn's axis. my room sounds best about three feet further back from where the speakers axis' cross.

as for the best musical diet to feed horns, I heartily recommend a balanced menu of rock, country, jazz, classical, pop, folk and whatever floats your particular boat! good horns sound good on anything that is well recorded, but will ruthlessly reveal inferior recordings.

------------------

JDMcCall

Those room dimensions, if the corners are reasonably good, sound GREAT for Khorns. You should have little trouble getting the bottom 35Hz out of them.

As to listening, well, there have been some people that try to claim that speaker preference indicates music preference, but I doubt that this theory holds water. PWK designed these babies to bring classical orchestral music into his home. Others have found that they do an excellent job at pretty much anything you send through them.

But I would definately get a tube SET amp with 4 to 8 blazing watts of power to crank those puppies with.

Once you go SET you'll never go back.

Blklab, purchase w/out fear. I have a 15' by 30' room with LaScala's. I listen to everything from Blues, rock,jazz etc. When I break out the Third Eye Blind,Pearl Jam or Cake, my entire house boogies. I have had tons of speakers and nothing comes close to the impact and emotion these babies bring to the music. Your only gripe will probably be " why didn't I do this sooner?". Joe

Heritage series are THE rock loudspeakers by excellence!! i have vintage scalas, and i listen to a bit from everything on them, and everything sounds grrreat, but that's true that Rage against..., radiohead, Coldplay, and in a more electronic style, Moloko ,Mirwais,Daft Punk, Underworld, are currently the best sounding discs i have. Coldplay sounds absolutely fabulous. Listen to "Shiver" or "we never change" or whatever on their last album and you'll feel like the singer is standing a few feet in front of you, singing for your own private pleasure... Go on, buy some big klipsches!!!!!!!

regards, Frans

PS yep, and that's true, Cake's "I will survive" makes the house boogie!

To expand your experience, let me suggest "Symphonic Star Trek" on Telarc.

You've heard some of the pieces on little TV speakers, it's time to hear it on the Klipsch products. Some neat sound effects too.

Gil

• Like 1

If you have the full choice i would go with the scalas. i have a pair of the Industrial ones and they rock....but the way i have them set up they give off all there low end. no sub. but if you do this ive learned that you need a power amp. you cant use a 10 wpc to get that really deep bass with 10 watts. at least i can't.

but my fav to listen to on them is CREED. all that bass and highs great for klipsch