LaScala top half as Center (DIY Question)

wsu99999

Hey guys-

I was siting here and had a quick question. I wanted to know how hard it would be to build the top portion of a LaScala to be used as a Center Channel. From the looks of my existing LS's, it doesn't seem like it would be diffucult. Am I right in thinking the LaScala tops don't need a box? If I just had the two horns sitting on a table, wouldn't it produce the same effect as being in a box? (I'm assuming this since the tops of the LS's aren't sealed.

If th is is the case, couldn't I just build a box deep enough to hold the horns, leave the back open for access to the crossover, and then build an AA crossover, buy the horns, and that's all she wrote?

If it's this easy, would the sound produced be good enough for a Center? I know I would be missing the bottom portion of the LS, but for a Center, shouldn't the top half be good enough?

Let me know your thougths

-

If it's this easy, would the sound produced be good enough for a Center? I know I would be missing the bottom portion of the LS, but for a Center, shouldn't the top half be good enough?

Let me know your thougths

Hmmm...Then I wonder why all manufacturers choose to produce a full range center speaker? Interesting [;)]

Properly mounted on a board the cut-off freuency of a K-400 is 273 Hz, an octave and a half above the bottom of male voices and as many as 3 and a half above explosions and other special effects (that mostly occur in the center channel). So, a La Scala top would be a very poor center channel speaker. Flying a top above the screen and placing a dual woofer below or beside the screen is feasible, but you'll hear the separation if you are not a distance away from the rig.

My center is an early 80s Heresy with a crossover built to match my La Scalas. It's supported on a TV wall mount above the screen and it finally sounds like I wanted it to when I built it. It's a really good match for La Scalas, but 10 dB less efficient.