Is it just my imagination or something more.

DU73

when I watch a movie in HD on television from a

broadcast station it sounds much better than when I am playing the same movie

from my PS3.

I have an optical cable running directly from

tellie to avr and my ps3 is the same optical from ps3 to avr.

Madagascar is now on TV in HD and it sounds better

that my dvd of the same movie,,, and its not just this movie.. it's all the

time.

I feel I am getting the new sound formats but I

cant be right because my avr does not have hdmi inputs..

Is it my imagination??? I must be going

crazy... [:$]

I would also check the levels for the TV input aswell as thePS3 inputs to assure all speakers levels are equal.

One thing I do notice between my TV broadcast and DVD/Blu ray playback is that the levels are not equal, by this I mean that on Broadcast the reference level from one show to the next will be different. The "DialNorm" (Dialogue Normal) is changed even when movie is broadcasted in Dolby Digital 5.1 this change in SPL could cause you to think that the broadcast sounds better.

My broadcast of DD 5.1 seems to be more heavy in the bass arena, I think this is due to the HF compression of the HD DVR box, movie sound good on TV but no where near what a DVD or BD is.

thank you all for your input.. just got up from bed... making coffee then tackling the ps3.. the ps3 to me is like a computer and me and computers DO NOT get along. It is so complictaed. I'll give it a shot and report back soon.

I'll check if the ps3 is set to 2ch or 5.1.. i think 5.1 as the little lights light up on avr when playing dvd/bluray. But i will check

I'll check the levels on tv and ps3 to make sure they are all level (re the same level)

I'm sure i make these changes in the settings menu of ps3.. i really find it complicated...

and unfortunately my avr does not support hdmi, it is about 5 years old.

ok coffee first then ps3.. be back soon

ok here goes

easy part first.
on panny plasma audio settings are:

Bass, Trebble and balance are all level (right smack bang in the middle)
Surround is set to off (though when running sound through avr there is deffinitely surround sound re all 5 speakers)
DolbyDigital is selected
SPDIF is set to auto (whatever this is)
MPEG is set to -6db (what ever this is)

On PS3 the sound (in settings) is set to:

Ticked - Dolby Dig 5.1
Ticked - DTS 5.1
Ticked - AAC (whatever this is)
Ticked - Linier PCM 2ch 44.1 Khz (ticked by default)

Not ticked on PS3
Linier PCM 2ch 48 Khz (not ticked by default)
Linier PCM 2ch 88.2 Khz (not ticked by default)
Linier PCM 2ch 176.4 Khz (notticked by default)

I have no idea what Linier is

When I have optical selected on PS3 it is set to Bitstream.

Anyway its no big deal as the sound difference is not significant at all but it is noticable, and i like it.. i like it a lot....

Its a known fact that the PS3's audio output for DVD/Blu-Ray is quieter than most players. If you go to AVSForum and read the 'Official Ps3 as Blu-Ray player' thread you'll see that the recommendation is to set the audio output levels to +1 or +2 - default is Normal.

Its also a known fact that your mind perceives louder as better. If you up the output levels of your PS3 I'm sure it'll sound 'better.'

To set the volume output hit the green triangle on the PS3 controller, then select the icon that looks like a speaker cone. Hit X and it'll bring up the volume adjustment. Don't set it too high - it allows for +5 and -5. I would set it to +2 at the maximum. (You have to do this when watching a DVD/Blu-Ray disc).

thanks wuzzzer - i'll check it out when i get home and let you know how i went..

i tried it out last nite, put on a action movie.. I adjusted the volume level on ps3 (mine actually goes from -4 to +4) i tried adjusting it to +1 then +2 and could not hear any difference at all except my ears seemed to be ringing.. so i tried -4 to +4 and no difference is sound.. so left it at 0..

thanks all for your input.. like i said my system now sounds amazing thanks to many of you whom have assisted me over the years.. but i dunno mangs when using the tv as source there seems to be little bit of magic going on..

but i will keep my eye out on a yammy rx-v663 (i think this is cheapest yammy that has both preouts and hdmi ins and outs)

i tried it out last nite, put on a action movie.. I adjusted the volume level on ps3 (mine actually goes from -4 to +4) i tried adjusting it to +1 then +2 and could not hear any difference at all except my ears seemed to be ringing.. so i tried -4 to +4 and no difference is sound.. so left it at 0..

That's weird. Although, I guess it might only control the volume through the HDMI cable and not the digital output?