Can I do this with a harmony remote?

Jay481985

I would think that you could set up an activity to do that. Doesn't setting up an activity involve telling the remote what component you want to change volume/stations/etc? My remote is set up to use my cable box to change stations when watching cable and my TV's tuner to change channels when watching over the air HD. I would think you could select the component to control volume as well. When in doubt, call their tech support, they're very good.

I don't own one yet but with this good feedback I think I might ask one for christmas. When I brought my system home and hooked it up to my parent's tv the biggest complaint was when switching channels the volume would go too loud or soft depending on the station and having to pick up the other remote to get it to proper sound.

Basically, thanks. I wanted to control the channel for the tv and the volume with the hooked up denon receiver I am using so I don't have to have two remotes to control the functions.

This can be accomplished with any Harmony remote. Which models are you looking at?

I would say that about 90% or so of all universal remotes will do this exact thing. The nice thing about Harmony is how easy they are to use and setup. Also, if you are having any difficulties you can go to a step-by-step help process after you have selected your activity, ie Watch Movie/TV.

OK, so I have a Harmony 550. When I want to change the cable station I select the cable box. When I want to change the TV volume I select the TV. Ditto for the DVD player and the receiver. Is there a way to setup the remote to allow operation of the receiver volume and the cable channel without selecting each discrete component?

OK, so I have a Harmony 550. When I want to change the cable station I select the cable box. When I want to change the TV volume I select the TV. Ditto for the DVD player and the receiver. Is there a way to setup the remote to allow operation of the receiver volume and the cable channel without selecting each discrete component?

Yeah, use "activities" instead of "devices." It's probably already set up that way, and you just don't know it.

its called a "pull through" function or sometime similiar, meaing you can program a key (or keys in the case of volume or channel) to allways pull through the program codes from its native mode no matter what mode the remote is currently in.

very convenient, don't have to change modes on the remote very ofter this way..check your remote manual.

or you might find instructions here

http://safemanuals.com/