Looking for sub to fill in bass between 40 and 80hz with my PW-2200

Amit

Hey whats up guys,

A few weeks ago i purchased a PW-2200 since i live in canada. I noticed one thing, this sub is very good down low, but does not really give you that tightness and speed in the 40hz to 80hz range. Would adding a desent quality 10 inch sub fix this issue.

This is what i thought of, use the PW-2200 for anything below 40 hz, and then cross a 10 inch Infinity IL100 sub to fill in frequencys between 40hz and 80hz. Is this a good idea, because i am looking for that mid bass punch and speed. By the way is the IL100 a good sub for this, if not what other subs would you reccommend withing the same price range. Please note that i live in canada so i do not want to spend anymore than $600 canadain.

Would the servo 15 maybe be my answer, since it is a sealed enclosure!

Thanks!

have you tried different positioning of the sub?

I'm not experiencing that lack of tightness in the frequencies you describe with my sub, however when I move around the room there is a place where the bass is more powerful (overbearing actually) but lacks tightness in a major way. before spending money, I would explore that possibility.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Hey guys,

It's not like the PW-2200 really lacks tightness, but it's just not as fast and tight as a 10 inch sub thats why i am looking to add one like the infinity IL100, if that is a good sub that is! Maybe i will use the PW-2200 for HT and the 10 inch for music or maybe cross the two. Who know's but for now opinions would be great for 10 inch subs in the $600 canadian range.

Thanks, and yes i have tried everything you guys mentioned.

amit, if setting the mains to large gives you bad bass,

then you may wanna get something that lets you set the rf-3 small & w/ a high pass cross of 40-50hz. iow the fabled adjustable crossover in the preamp. cwm4.gif

or you can go your two sub route but i'd think that's be a pain. instead you could set the mains large & turn the para sub's low pass cross according to the material. those rf-3 will go pretty flat below & beyond 40hz.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Amit, that is the exact reason why I ended up with a ksw-15 instead of a pw2200. The paradigm hit hard down low but was far less pronounced in that 40 - 80hz region that you were talking about. I noticed this on a lot of the music that I play. Some people call this bomminess. If it is, then I like boominess. I almost considered getting a 10" sub just like you did, but opted not to when I noticed the pw2200 was not keeping up with the faster bass notes. My ksw-15 is fine for now. While not a great sub by any means, it does an okay job down to 25 hz. There's not much below 25hz, so it's great for the music I like, but not as great for movies. (Still good though).

-UP

------------------

Liv Tyler as Arwen: "If you want him, come and claim him!" - Translation: "I am very hot."

If you want, get a ksw-10 or ksw-12 to fill in the gap, but you'll still have the slower bass notes of the pw-2200, which could be distracting. Unless, you turn off the pw-2200 during music, and use it only when you're playing dvd's.

-UP

------------------

Liv Tyler as Arwen: "If you want him, come and claim him!" - Translation: "I am very hot."

hey guys,

Do you think that if i returned my PW-2200 and got a servo 15 i would get more punch and midbass since it is a sealed design. Just a thought, since i have heard that the servo is also very good down low, and is NOT A ONE NOTE SUB that is very tight.

What do you think, i do not mind paying the extra money.

Thanks again!

LOL cubed

A sub-mid woofa

What will I see next? A teweet-woofa(80-150Hz)!

Just get an M&K or Monitor Audio sub if you want fast upper punch with some good sub bass.M&K and Monitor Audio subs have the punch some seek to go with small monitors,superb match with RB-3 and RB-5's.

If you start building a two or three way sub you may and up with a bloody mess.

This makes me think,last year a customer(err read fool)walks in the store and asks me "DO YOU SELL FOUR WAY SPEAKERS?" I said NO,and asked why four way.

He said "FOUR WAY ARE BETTER,HAVE A SUPER TWEETER"

Ha

TheEAR(s) Now theears

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Are you saying the 4 way speakers are bad? I suppose if they're cheaply constructed, they could be. But what about 5 way? The Totem Acoustic Shaman are 5 way. And Totem speakers aren't exactly bottom of the line. They use high quality drivers, including Dynaudio. http://www.totemacoustic.com/NewFiles/shaman.html#Anchor-49575

They retail at $11000 US.

This message has been edited by oogins on 03-03-2002 at 10:42 PM

I also have a Pw2200 and like its sound. But I have thought about eventually adding a rsw10. This might be one to do a search for online. Try playing with the crossovers on your sub and as always placement can make or break even the greatest of subs!

The problem isn't a lack of *speed* by the pw2200 >40hz. It's the pw2200 is capable of producing strong output <35hz. 99% of the time, the *musical* subs are simply considered that because they wuss out on the first octave. They rolloff <35hz...so everything above that is more pronounced. Since 99% of musical transients are >35hz.....presto....musical subwoofer.

Chances are if you put a highpass filter on the Pw2200 around 35hz it could suddenly sound much more musical to you.

TV

Mike,

Yes when I demo sound gear its quite a show.And it works,not to brag or anything(ahem)but my sale rate is way up there.Most who held B0$e,Nuance and DefTech in high regard want to puke on these.And even Paradigm and a few "quality" brands eat dust.

I fully back Klipsch,Dynaudio,Monitor Audio(Gold Series) and B&W(Nautilus).Wilson Audio and Joseph Audio are quite good too. Smile.gif

So you still want to hear a "FOUR WAY"? cwm23.gif

LOL

oogins,

I was refering to the mass market three and four way Technics and Co. speakers.A total disgrace and these are labeled Hi-Fi!

cwm8.gif

TV,

How right

"99% of the time, the *musical* subs are simply considered that because they wuss out on the first octave. They rolloff <35hz...so everything above that is more pronounced. Since 99% of musical transients are >35hz.....presto....musical subwoofer."

This is why Sunfire is NOT musical,because it does not have much output above 80Hz!LOL

Let me add a tweeter

TV where are the pics of your fabled SonoSilo SVS?

You know the one built in a grain silo using 400 15" custom TC Sounds woofers?

What you dont have pics!

HSU has their $80000 sub,they never built any and have no pics.

Hmmmm

TheEAR(s) Now theears