Outlaw Seperates

shane_0_mac

Hi All, Long time no talk. I have put off any upgrades for the last year because of this horrible economy, but now it is time to get seperates. I am really leaning towards Outlaw. I know in the past some here were pleased with their products. Are they still a relaible company? I am thinking of going with the 7700 and for now using my denon as a pre. I am sure my RB 75's and RC-7 would love the 200 per channel, but I still have the ultimate goal for upgrading the THX Ultra II set up. I have no idea when that will happen but it is my goal. With that said, would it be wise to go ahead and get the 7900? I know 300W per channel is overkill, but for about $1000 difference I wonder if it would better to get that? Those of you that remember me know I am not very smart in this stuff and always need reassured when making a purchase. I do value all opinions here and I look forward to your responses.

Shane

I can't imagine any Klipsch speaker needing more than 200 wpc.Outlaw makes great products so I don't see any issue there.You may also look at Emotiva just for more info.They also make highly rated products at rock bottom prices/outstanding warranty.

• Moderators

I agree with Fish. I don't think you will hear $1000 difference between 200w/ch and 300w/ch. It's the law of diminishing return. Definitely take a look at the Emotiva too. Might save you some money.

Wow, I just looked and you would save a bunch with Emo. Use the XPA-2 (250w x 2) for $799 to use on your mains and XPA-5 (200w x 5) for $799 to use on your center and surrounds. If you don't have the space for two amps, you could go with the XPA-7 (185w x 7) for $699. Emo is working on the XPR-7 (400w x 7) From their website..."No
specific time frame for completion is set, but it is possible the
amplifier will be released before year’s end."

I'm money conscious so if it were me, I'd go with Emo. They have 30 day money back guarantee. Bring it home, if it doesn't live up to your expectations, then go with the Outlaw 7700 for $2150.

My only experiences with Outlaw come from the 950 and the 990 pre/pros, and the 7100 100x7wpc amp. While the 7100 gave me a positive first time experience with separates, the 100wpc ended up being somewhat limiting eventually.

Since then I've gone with the Emo XPA5 which made a significant difference, and when I went 7.1 I added an XPA-2. As far as quality/clarity of sound is concerned, they're all equal in my book. But I have several pieces of music that illustrated to me that 100wpc wasn't enough power for certain passages. The XPA2 and 5 give my RF7/RC7/KS7800 setup sufficient overhead, and I have noticed virtually no difference between the XPA5 at 200wpc and the XPA2 at 250wpc.

Rick

Thanks for the great replies. I am looking at the Emo website now, looks like good equipment. I do have plenty of space, I have dedicated theater room, with storage room behind it where I have my equipment. I am almost done with the the "overhaul" of the cosmetics of the room, I will get some pics up after completion. I did see a 7 X200 on the emo site, but like stated before the 2 channel and five channel looks like a good option. I agree the 300 is overkill but like most people I always want the biggest and most powerful, but its not needed. I am sure for now a good 7 x 125 but when I finally am able to get the complete THX Ultra II speaker setup I know I will want the 7 x 200 for them, so might as well get that now.

With the prices being so reasonable on the emo a pre can be purchased now. This is the area where I really need some guidance. This is where I would like to get all the bells and whistles. As of this moment I have my projector set up on component (it does have hdmi output) but I used compenent for a few reasons, cost of cable, my denon is not HDMI. When I decide on a new pre, will it be worth looking at running HDMI cable (its about a 20 foot run) I know HDMI carries audio and video and is an easier hook up, but does it actually gain anything in video over component? I do not think it would gain enough to be worth buying a long HDMI cable but like always would like from you guys about this. Is the Emo Pre a good unit in your guys opinion?

I do try to research things on my own, but I like real world experience from people who not selling a product to base my decisions on. I look forwarnd to your replies and all help is very appreciated.

As a general rule use HDMI when possible when your source is digital. If you're using, say, a blu-ray player with component cables, then your blu-ray player is converting from digital to analog, then your projector is converting from analog to digital. Those steps are unnecessary and can result in image degradation that wouldn't occur if you were using HDMI the whole way.

Additionally, analog cables over a long run will usually show artifacts from interference easier than HDMI cables will. You can also get HDMI cables relatively inexpensively from places like monoprice.com and bluejeanscable.com. I have a 30+ft HDMI cable from bluejeans that I'm no longer using if you're interested in a cheap pick up.

The only other product I'm selling is an Integra DTC-9.8 pre. PM me if you're interested. :-)

Rick

• Moderators

When I decide on a new pre, will it be worth looking at running HDMI cable (its about a 20 foot run) I know HDMI carries audio and video and is an easier hook up, but does it actually gain anything in video over component? I do not think it would gain enough to be worth buying a long HDMI cable but like always would like from you guys about this.

You can pick up a 20ft CL2 rated HDMI cable from Monoprice for $22.95. It doesn't get much better than that. Dude, we are going to save you all kinds of money. Can we get a commission? [:P]

Emo is trying to release their new Pre/Pro. It's been awhile and still might be awhile off.

i'll throw a monkey wrench in all of this....Emotiva's new processor, UMC-1, will be HDMI 1.4! just when you though you got a grip on the HDMI cables, something new has come out. do a search on hdmi 1.4 to get the full details, but the quick difference, is, you can use it to update your gear through the internet with out using an ethernet cable. as long as one component is hooked up to the interent, all your gear (that is connected with the hdmi 1.4) can update. that is part of the reason Emotiva has taken sooooo long to release it. in fact they were all done, until they scrapped it to totally redo the video card (and main board) for hdmi 1.4. just called them a few days ago, they have the protypes in store, and are waiting on the massed produced ones.

oh, and yes, the hdmi 1.4 is a competely different cable than 1.3. if you notice many websites (except monoprice for some reason) is cutting their hdmi prices.

I have the Outlaw 7700 and love it. If Emo is selling a 185x7 amp for $699, I would say that sounds pretty good. Check the specs on it to make sure it actually delivers that much power at once to all channels.

I recently upgarded from an Outlaw 990 to the Onkyo 886 and I am not regretting it. HDMI for all hookups (well, almost all) and the HD audio is very nice.

I have the Outlaw 7700 and love it. If Emo is selling a 185x7 amp for $699, I would say that sounds pretty good. Check the specs on it to make sure it actually delivers that much power at once to all channels.

I recently upgarded from an Outlaw 990 to the Onkyo 886 and I am not regretting it. HDMI for all hookups (well, almost all) and the HD audio is very nice.

Do you think the 886 is as good on music as the 990?That would be a surprise.