Where can I buy a SINGLE RS-3 to use as a center rear?

belial

I would strongly recommend doign a "try before you buy" if you go the RS-3 for the rear-center. I have RF-3's (front), RC-3 (front-center), RS-3 (surround). When I added the rear-center, I added a borrowed KV-1 (granted, not a RC-3), I'm planning on upgrading to a RC-3 ASAP.

I played around with an RS-3 (granted I was then running 1 surround), and wasn't happy at all.

Of coure, your ears could prove mine wrong.

Anyway you go, you will LOVE the 6.1. It took me about a week of tweeking to get it "right"

------------------

Current HT Setup:

RF-3's front

RC-3 center

RS-3's surround

KV-1 rear-center

M&K V-1250 sub

Integra 8.2 receiver

Mitsubishi 50"

Pioneer C-503 dvd-player

I got click happy and forgot to address mounting.

You mentioned you'd have to wall mount. I have a very deep room and had to ceiling mount. In short, I built a box (24x12x12 inches) that I bolted to the ceilng, and was open towards the TV. I then tilted the speaker down. The RC-3 has a spike for doing just that. I painted it to match, it cost < $50.00, and (most importantly) passed the wife inspection. If you have to wall it, perhaps a decorative shelf?

If you would like to see a picture(s), I can post or private email.

------------------

Current HT Setup:

RF-3's front

RC-3 center

RS-3's surround

KV-1 rear-center

M&K V-1250 sub

Integra 8.2 receiver

Mitsubishi 50"

Pioneer C-503 dvd-player

The RC-3 with one Tractrix Horn and two Woofers is designed to provide clear dialogue forward of the speaker. Where as RS-3 are Wide Dispersion (WDST) they provide sound in an 90° wide by 60° pattern. Are you sure you want rear center dialogue dispersed in this manner. You should make sure you can return the RS-3 if you don't like it as a center speaker.

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Wow, thanks for all the replies, guys!

boa, if they are a great match, then will it make that much difference if I use an RS-3 instead of an RC-3?

shapeshifter, I don't think I made myself clear. I meant a rear center, not a front center. I currently use the RC-3 as my front center and it works great.

I do have a crumby old Radioshack speaker used as the rear center right now and the rear track seems a lot like the side tracks, in terms of the nature of the sounds (mostly music, some localized effects). So why would it be wrong to use the same speakers I have for the sides, for the rear center?

This message has been edited by belial on 03-04-2002 at 03:12 AM

bel, as up said above, a direct radiating is recommended & seems to work best to anchor the sound from the reflecting surrounds to the rear center.

& if u ever go 6.1 discrete someday, that rear center should be directional. like if a plane flys right over

your head it'll move from front to back not front to all around the rear of the room.

many have used wdst for rear surround to satisfaction though. so no real biggy, but could make a dif for you.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Whoa, belial, let's take a step back and look at what 5.1 and 6.1 are designed to do and the speaker choices you seemed determined to make.

5.1 (and above) are all about discrete (unique) sounds especially mixed to appear to come from full-range speakers in particular locations in your listening area. This is what direct radiating speakers (like RF-3, RC-3, etc.) do best.

The old ProLogic area mix was discrete for left and right mains... and a single surround channel of a narrower spectrum of auditory clues and ambient sounds. This, IMHO, is what bi-polar or di-polar speakers (like RS-3) do best. The reason is that the RS-3 is designed to throw sound from its side mounted position toward the front and the rear of the room.

Thus, if you mounted an RS-3 as a rear center... the speaker would be throwing ambient sound toward your side walls and not toward the front of the room... like a rear center should in a 6.1 configuration.

Now, if you prefer the sound of three ambient speakers where three direct radiating speakers are designed to be... that is your prerogative... that's why you paid your good money to exercise your right to choice. My comments are only here because your comments indicated that you really wanted to know the difference.

So far, there are relatively few true 6.1 DVD's. "Gladiator" stands out as one of the early 6.1 triumphs. True 6.1 is six discrete channels intended for six identical direct radiating speakers plus, of course, the dedicated ".1" subwoofer/LFE channel.

The reason that the rear channel often sounds close to the side channels is because that is where they came from... many receivers create 6.1 sound by polling information from 5.1 DVD's. 6.1 DVD's are played as they were mixed by the studio. The receivers matrix a pseudo-discrete rear channel by extracting sounds from the left and right discrete surround channels to fill the "hole in the rear" much like early attempts to fill the "hole in the center" caused by the separation of left and right "Mains"... in fact Paul W. Klipsch was one of the early advocates of three channel "stereo" prompted by the wide center gap created by the corner location of his K-horns.

In point of fact, human beings have far more critical distinction of the orientation and character of sound in the front 180° than they have in the backside 180°... so as a cost cutting measure... lesser speakers will not be as noticeable as a scaled down center channel speaker would be.

Since the front center channel is expected to handle over 75% of the total sound from a DVD, it should be your best speaker... for it is the one true "MAIN" speaker for HT. Try running your receiver on a Phantom or "No Center" option and you will find an approximation of how good your system would sound with a center that would equal your Mains.

Of course, the effect is best for someone smack in the center of the sweet spot. A good center channel broadens that sweet spot so other family and friends can enjoy the good stuff.

Since you are now using side surround speakers that throw an ambient sound against your back wall that is reflected to the back of your head... you already have some rear channel action of sorts. To spend money to have a third side surround throwing sound against your side walls may result in your getting a better side-surround action reflecting from your side walls. Kind of a backward way of creating what the discrete programming on the DVD had already done for direct radiating speakers.

Hey, and that's all right, the majority of 5.1 are discrete sound deviates to one degree or another. It usually takes a while for old ProLogic habits to die out and new 5.1 options grow upon the speaker production lines of the world.

Not to worry, make a "sound decision" and enjoy it for all it's worth to you. cwm32.gif HornEd

------------------

HORNED'S EIGHT THEATRICAL LEGENDS,

FIVE+ MUSICAL HERITAGES & A ROADIE...

SETTING THE "THEATER OF THE MIND" STAGE...

KLF 30's: Left Main, Center Main, Right Main

KLF C7's: L & R Front Effects on 5' sand filled columns

KLF 30's: Left Surround, Rear Effects, Right Surround

Twin SVS CS-Ultra SubTower, Samson Megawatt Amp

KLIPSCH SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Bass friendly, oversized, glove-leather LazyBoy Recliners

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

CHANNELING THE MUSIC EXPERIENCE FROM 2 TO 6!

'97 Klipschorn - Mains, '99 Klipsch Belle - Center

'83 Cornwall - Surrounds, '93 Academy - Rear Effects

Walnut w/ Cane Grilles. Final Amps, etc. undetermined

THE MOVEABLE (EAR) FEAST...

Klipsched Class "A" Motorhome... an acoustics challenge

vandalized... but soon to be "On the Road Again!" Willie.

Belial,

Did recognize you were talking rear center and my reference to center was for rear use. Did overlook & fail to acknowledge UP's earlier post which made reference to RS-3's dispersed sound in a rear center role. Just wanted to ensure that you would not commit to a buy of the RS-3 and then realize it compromised your rear listening pleasure. The last two posts have further added clarification between direct radiating vs. dispersed sound for your center rear set up.

UP, sorry about the acknowledgement omission!

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

A lot depends on your preference for sound in the rear. Wide Dispersion speakers like the RS-3's will be wonderful for movies, but may not sound so well when listening to multi channel music. The RB-3's will do a wonderful job with multi channel music and a more than adequate job for movies. Each has their benefits and trade offs. Ideally, using both would give you the best of both worlds, Wide Dispersion and Direct Radiating sounds. How much of each media you listen to should help you determine, if you have to choose. I vote for the RB's. But I do use both types in my HT system.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 03-04-2002 at 08:06 PM

It is guys like Horn ED and Shapeshifter that make this forum worth visiting everyday: guys that provide helpful information without asking anything in return. In the short time that I have been on this forum I have witnessed some childish posting. And some people are on here mostly just to brag. Horn ED you are a cool guy. Thanks for all your contributions on many topics. Shapeshifter, don't worry about it, your opinion reinforces mine. But like Horn ED said before, Belial, it is your opinion that matters. Now that you know the general facts, test it out yourself and buy whatever suits your tastes and budget.

-UP

------------------

Liv Tyler as Arwen: "If you want him, come and claim him!" - Translation: "I am very hot."

Hi guys! Just a little bit of an inside tip to my fellow Klipscheads. If anyone remembers I'm the guy who tried to let people in on some eBay tactics to benefit us true Klipsch fans. One of my tricks for finding deals is to spell words incorrectly to hopefully happen upon deals. Well it just so happens that some bright cat out there has spelled Klipsch as Klipsh and is auctioning off an R3 now. Just type klipsh in the search field. He is the only one spelling it like that so the RC3 should be the only item that comes up. Nowhere in the entire ad is Klipsch spelled correctly so it wouldn't come up for searches on klipsch. Maybe you can score one for a really decent price. I'm still not sure which is your best choice after reading this though.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

I for one would like to hear more opinions regarding using the RB-3 vs the RS-3 as surrounds. I have to make a decision regarding this shortly and am curious as to what others say. The above reply was good, but I need convencing/teaching.

thanks

I've been away and just wanted to say sorry for not responding to the new posts to my thead...

You guys have pretty much convinced me to go with the RC-3. But there is only one problem--if I have the same speaker for center front and center rear, don't I run the risk of having them cancel each other out?

Thanks again to all who took the time to respond to this thread!

Should be no risk of Cancellation. Your receiver or Pre/pro does discrete processing of incoming signals from your players media. It sends output to the specific channel/speaker based on encoded discrete sounds contained on the DVD. What this means is that your receiver will only send sounds to each channels speaker based on the content encoded on the disk for that channel. Have no fear, your receiver will handle the technical aspects via its discrete processing logic.

A good SPL Meter and DVD setup disk will help you optimize each channels speaker level and other system settings. Radio Shack has a very good Analog SPL Meter. I use the Video Essentials DVD to optimize settings, but their are others that are very good too.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 03-08-2002 at 07:58 AM

Outlaw 1050

Cornwall 1 front

Cornwall 1 front (ON REAR)

Pyramid outboard amp (fronts) also 4 channel stereo

RS-3-2s sides

academy center

KLF-C7 rear center

RP-3 sub tower, convered to a outboard 12 inch JBL

mid and tweeter, used as an extension to the academy with all cornwalls on, in theater!

Zenith progressive scan DVD

Sony 27 inch flatscreen TV

Front level 0

center level 3

surround level 7

rear center level 5

sub level 0

set to small

This setup is intense, i might get another sub amp to power my second JBL 12 inch, then i might not!

If i connect both subs to the RP-3 ill drop the impedence to 2 OHMS and ill fry the tower!

The 10 inch in he tower is not being used!

It was moving to rapidly to keep up with the conwalls, and also the JBL goes a lot deeper!