60th Anniv. Clones Redux w/ lotsa pics--need feedback

kevinmi

Didn't have enough grill cloth to do sides like the original, so I used wood on the sides and just covered the front board. By the way, this is just a temporary setup, so it's not intended to be perfect. I'm going to build big horns with 2" drivers eventually.

post-28686-13819499950818_thumb.jpg

Now for the interesting stuff: After hooking them up and giving them a listening to, I immediatly noticed improved bass response. I mean a bunch more bass! I attribute this to the mids/highs not blaring at me so loud and overwhelming the bass. The mids are so much more open, it's as if I can climb inside the horn and see the musicians playing. (Maybe a little too much wine!) I notice that I am playing the music at much louder volumes without listening fatique.

Now I know that since I have all new drivers/diaphragms, that they need to be broken in before the sound they're best. Does anybody have a ball park idea of how long before they are broken in? Any good suggestions on the best method of breaking them in?

About the mid horn-- horn dimensions are 8.25 by 16.5 inches, the biggest I could make with a 2:1 ratio and still fit the original height of the top hat. Many thanks to Mike Dubay for the program and answering many questions about using the program. Fc is 275, If I remember correctly.

If anybody has suggestions on mid drivers I could try out with these horns, I'd appreciate the info.

Also, I'm using AA crossovers with Crites Cap upgrade. Any suggestions/comments on crossover points or upgrades that would work with this setup?

Any and all comments/suggestions/gripes/advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks-kevin

Also, I'm using AA crossovers with Crites Cap upgrade. Any suggestions/comments on crossover points or upgrades that would work with this setup?

You could alway build ALK universals, IMO they are a noticeable improvement. The side pieces an the grills were a nice improvise, I didn't notice til you mentioned it.

Kevin,

That looks like a fun project. Congratulations!

A comment about the bass being improved. Is it posible there were air leaks in the bass bin around the woofer access panel? In that case, when you remeoved then re-attached the access door ( I assume with a new gasket) then you may have gained a more air-tight bass bin. That can improve the low bass response. I only mention this as a possibility.

-Tom

Kevin,

That looks like a fun project. Congratulations!

A comment about the bass being improved. Is it posible there were air leaks in the bass bin around the woofer access panel? In that case, when you remeoved then re-attached the access door ( I assume with a new gasket) then you may have gained a more air-tight bass bin. That can improve the low bass response. I only mention this as a possibility.

-Tom

Tom, I actually listened to the new top hats for a few days with the original woofers, and there was plenty more bass. I can imagine the Crites woofers will kick it up a notch after they're broke in.-kevin