Opinions wanted

T-Ram

Hello All!

I have looked through a bunch of the posts and seen some really stunning work here. Some that is truly amazing!

I recently acquired a pair of 1975 Heresys in oiled walnut that I am in the process of upgrading and refinishing. They are serial numbers 17N226 & 17N231. I was just wondering what the prevailing thoughts are about going to a different veneer or should they stay as original as possible? I realize this is totally a subjective thing and I will probably never resell these if they end up sounding anywhere near as good as my1986 Heresy II's.

I have sanded them down lightly with 220 grit and have not been able to remove all the scratches I was hoping to. I'm scared to sand much more because I have already sanded through in places. It is almost as if they had been previously sanded and refinished once ( or more times ) before. EXTREMELY thin walnut that was left on there.

Due to this and some peeling veneer over what looks to be very light water damage on the bottom of one of the cabinets, I have decided that they will both receive a total new veneer job. What's left to decide is:

Will I try to do this myself? I am fairly comfortable around wood though I have never attempted veneer before.

Will I go back with Walnuit and an oiled finish or on to something more exotic?

All opinions are welcomed. The crossovers, mids and tweets are already back from Crites just waiting on me to decide where to go with the cabinets.

Also, If I decide to try it myself, any suggestions or problems verneering over existing veneer that I should know about?

Thank you,

Tony

I recently built a pair of Cornscalas, first build, they came out pretty nice (thread here on the forum Corscalas Again).. Up to that point I have never veneered anything, read up on Joes veneer web page, all the information you need, just take your time, you'll be amazed how easy it is, I would recommend the paper backed type.

CigarBum

Hello All!

I have looked through a bunch of the posts and seen some really stunning work here. Some that is truly amazing!

I recently acquired a pair of 1975 Heresys in oiled walnut that I am in the process of upgrading and refinishing. They are serial numbers 17N226 & 17N231. I was just wondering what the prevailing thoughts are about going to a different veneer or should they stay as original as possible? I realize this is totally a subjective thing and I will probably never resell these if they end up sounding anywhere near as good as my1986 Heresy II's.

I have sanded them down lightly with 220 grit and have not been able to remove all the scratches I was hoping to. I'm scared to sand much more because I have already sanded through in places. It is almost as if they had been previously sanded and refinished once ( or more times ) before. EXTREMELY thin walnut that was left on there.

Due to this and some peeling veneer over what looks to be very light water damage on the bottom of one of the cabinets, I have decided that they will both receive a total new veneer job. What's left to decide is:

Will I try to do this myself? I am fairly comfortable around wood though I have never attempted veneer before.

Will I go back with Walnuit and an oiled finish or on to something more exotic?

All opinions are welcomed. The crossovers, mids and tweets are already back from Crites just waiting on me to decide where to go with the cabinets.

Also, If I decide to try it myself, any suggestions or problems verneering over existing veneer that I should know about?

Thank you,

Tony

Checkout this post http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/36426/717961.aspx#717961

This is a pictorial from one of the resident experts of restoration projects, I refer to it often. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/117315.aspx?PageIndex=1

Also poke around Greg Roberts' site for some step-by-step descriptions. http://www.dcchomes.com/Gregsaudio.html

Finally, practice first on something you don't care about in order to learn the techniques. I'll soon start another Cornscala project, this time with veneer. I've never done it before, but have practiced some different techniques (contact cement, Heatlock glue, Titebond II) to see what works best for me. Once you master the veneering technique, you'll want to experiment with staining to get that down. The first link above has some good info for walnut if you go that route, personally my favorite.

Good luck! You'll find it to be very rewarding.

Randy

Lots of great restorations on the forum. Sounds like your veneer is too compromised to do anything but go for it. You've already dropped the dime to upgrade the components so veneering makes sense. Check out some of Groomlakearea51's veneering tips, he says it's a piece of cake.

Good Luck!

Herb

Tony,

Veneering is not as difficult as it sounds. Go a head and do a small project before you tackle project as large as this.

IMHO

Go with paper backed veneer.

I use contact cement for large surfaces.

Purchase matching edge banding with the heat actived backing.

Go with premium veneer for a project such as this, and pay more for consecutive sheets from the same tree.

I really appreciate all of the input and links to great information.

I found a lot of Sapele Pommele that would be enough for this project and really looks quite nice. It would be enough to practice with (a lot) and still have plenty available for the Heresys. If I go this route I will cut my own edge banding as the lot should be enough to make almost two complete 4 x 8 paperbacked sheets. If anyone feels this is too ambitious for a beginner, please weigh in with your opinion, suggestions etc.

Even though I am impatient, I really want these to turn out nice!

Tony