Are Cornwalls appropriate as front L/R speakers for home theater use

pval-guy

• Moderators

Man I am glad my wife isn't like that why do people marry these women - sheez! I had 4 Klipschorn's, 2 Belle Klipsch, and a La Scala in my living room at one point but have scaled the system down since.

Probably because our wives are more enjoyable to sleep with than our speakers. [;)] I lead our household but my wife and I still make decisions together. If we both aren't in agreement, then we usually don't do it. Does wonders for a marriage.

Wow..... do disregard the majority Frzninvt's post.

He makes one valid point, the system wll only be as good as it's weakest link. That is all the more reason to start with making the Cornwall's as best as they can be. Then, worry about the rest. Take it one step at a time so you can make every piece the best it can be!

Daniel

Ah, the art of compromise ... here's how I see it. I could have been stuck with a 42" LG LCD TV on the wall, listening to its built in speakers. However, the posts to this forum have been absolutely revelatory to me, and so until I build my "Inner Sanctum" room addition which will have two La Scalas and two Cornwalls and either another La Scala or Cornwall for the center, here's what is "doable" recognizing that I have to compromise on affordability and appearance (given that I share the house):

1. Two front Cornwalls from 1979, to be refurbished with the help of Bob Crites (it needs new tweeters and he suggested new crossovers too). It makes me wonder if woofers degrade over time; the previous owner really cranked these speakers up, which probably blew out the tweeters.

2. An Klipsch Academy speaker for the center, which should complement the Cornwalls reasonably well.

3. For the future, a sub-woofer, although I don't know which one would best complement the Cornwalls.

4. For the future, some wall-mounted rear speakers (no Heritage ones that I know of, but given that they're in the rear I'm not sure that's so critical).

5. And for the visual end of things, a Pioneer 60" Kuro Elite HDTV and a Pioneer Elite SC-27 receiver for AV central and a Panamax power conditioner.

Not a dream set-up, but not bad either. And peace and harmony shall reign ...

• Moderators

If we both aren't in agreement, then we usually don't do it

Ahh.... so who leads the household? DevilWink

[:D] As stated, I lead our household but I take a Biblical appoach from Ephesians 5:21-33 where it says "Submit to one another" and "each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself". That means respecting the other person's opinion. So far, it has worked wonderfully for the 13 years we have been married. Still feel like we are on our honeymoon. I know...I know....[+o(] [:P]

I'm curious as to your impression of the compatibility of the Academy with the two Cornwalls, particularly with respect to the higher end of the frequency scale. Do you find the sound very complementary, or does the Academy sound notably different than the Cornwalls? I'm shortly going to begin the process of replacing some parts in my Academy and Cornwalls, so I'd be interested in your experience with them.