46" TV Help Please

vandec54

I don't know about the forum but I hate them. They have a decent picture but they lack a lot of detail and thats what HD is for, detail. I myself sell hometheater products for a living and sell many tv's and a large majority of them are Samsung LCD's. The B530 is great but the B550 add's a better screen and USB port for viewing photos. If you can get the extra $$ for the B630 (120hz) you won't be disappointed at all. The 630 is the best bang for you dollar out there in the LCD market.

What are your thoughts on Sammy Plasmas as opposed to Sammy LCD's? I just snuck over to Best Buy and saw 3 50" Sammy PLasmas/1080

PN50B530S2F $1099

PN50B550T2F $1099

PN50B650S1F $1239

I also saw the Sammy

LCD, B640 $1319

What are your thoughts

Supposedly plasma is well on its way out. Production on this type tv sharply down. The up and coming technology is LED. If in the market I would look at these tvs too. I noticed that BB has a couple in stock now.

Some in my family have the Sony 46" 120hz flat panel lcd and we have really enjoyed it with no problems.

What are your thoughts on Sammy Plasmas as opposed to Sammy LCD's? I just snuck over to Best Buy and saw 3 50" Sammy PLasmas/1080

PN50B530S2F $1099

PN50B550T2F $1099

PN50B650S1F $1239

I also saw the Sammy

LCD, B640 $1319

What are your thoughts

For the same cash plasma beats LCD. Better black, better color, no blur, no need for video processors that add artifacting problems. IMO the only real world problem with plasma is the glare from the glass front. Keep in mind that some LCD panels now have a more reflective front surface as well.

Plasma's are going nowhere, they are here to stay. The reason people buy LCD's is because they are misinformed about plasma's. They got a bad wrap when they first came out because of false recharging claims, burn in, and power consumption. Plasma's have a half life of 30years anymore, burn in is a thing of the past, and they are all energy star compliant. LED's are just the newest cool thing, the Samsungs are side lit so they are just making the TV thinnner thats all. The LG's and Toshiba's are doing local dimming, where they can shut off or dim different parts of the picture to products better contrast. They exact same thing plasma's have been doing for years except they do it by firing off different phosphurs at different temperatures to produce colors. Not only to the do it cheaper but they do it better and they have the new slim models to compete with super slim LCD's like the Samsungs B860 and Panasonics wireless Z1.

They are here to stay? You might want to check with these guys to mention just a few.[:)]

1. Pioneer officially ends plasma TV production. Supplier yet to be announced ... manufacturing once production of its next series of plasma TV models is complete, ...
    reghardware.co.uk/.../pioneer_ends_plasma_panel_production - Cached
  2. Vizio is the latest manufacturer to drop plasma TV production ... Gadgets Vizio to End Plasma TV Production. Michael Barkoviak - February 11, 2009 4:43 PM ...
    dailytech.com/Vizio+to+End+Plasma+TV+Production/... - 254k - Cached
  3. Sony to halt plasma TV production. by Matt Burns posted Aug 3rd 2006 at 10:17AM ... Filed under: Industry, Sony, LCD, Plasma. Tags: dtv, hdtv, lcd, plasma, sony, tv ...
    engadgethd.com/2006/.../sony-to-hault-plasma-tv-production - 54k - Cached

Admittedly, plasmas are on their way out. And perhaps OLED is on its way in, along with 3-D HDTV -- someday. However, just because it isn't economical for manufacturers because the market is flooded with cheap LCD TVs doesn't mean the product isn't meritorious. Faced with lot of options, I did quite a bit of research when it was time to replace my 1994 31" Panasonic tube TV that was dying. Oh, you can get a 73" Mitsubishi DLP for a good price, and you can get a LCD that's very respectable. The big new Mitsubishi LaserVue is also stunning, both for its cost and image, but apparently has reliabililty issues. For my money, I fell in love with a Pioneer Elite Kuro Plasma a month ago, and that's where I went. They're still available in 50" and 60" sizes at places like Magnolia, but they're going fast, and when they're gone, they're gone. But I'm still really glad to have one.

Those are poor examples. Pioneer is basically going belly up. Their TVs were too expensive. 60" TV for $6,500 was a bit much, and in these times it didn't survive. Sony has their hands in LCD panel production with Samsung. And I think Vizio just filed for bankruptcy too, but I'm not too sure yet, as I haven't really looked. Two of the top three TV makers, LG and Samsung, still make plasma TV's. I have already heard cool things about the 2010 LG plasma line as well.

I don't think they will be done with plasma until they make LCD's that have vivid colors. Mitsubishi has me pretty impressed, but the cost is twice that of a plasma TV.

LG too I'm afraid "cutting production by 70,000 units per year from now on"

There’s something rotten in the state of LG. It seems the Korean
manufacturer is having some trouble offloading its plasma TVs, with
sales last February down some $35 million compared to the previous
year. To be fair, it does appear to be a general trend in the TV
industry, with LCDs being cheaper to produce at larger and larger
sizes. (It used to be that LCDs larger than 42 inches were
prohibitively expensive. Starting at that size, you usually went with
plasma.) So LG will cut plasma production by 70,000 units per year from
now on.

Somewhat related is that, of the plasmas it will produce, LG will be
making them smaller for the Chinese market. The sweet spot seems to be
sets in the 30-inch range, something the company expects to take off in
anticipation of next year’s Olympics in Beijing.

That's pretty funny as I work for an LG dealer, and within just two of their plasma TV's they are backordered by 75,000 units. And while LCD is getting cheaper and cheaper, the bang for the buck still lies witht the plasma products. I know that more people buy LCD, but mostly because they are afraid of plasma. As we know there are plenty of myths out there about them. And I do remember when Sony had a 42" plasma, and their 42" LCD was $10,000. I hope plasma doesn't go away, as for watching TV and movies in the dark, they do a better job.

LG too I'm afraid "cutting production by 70,000 units per year from now on"

There’s something rotten in the state of LG. It seems the Korean manufacturer is having some trouble offloading its plasma TVs, with sales last February down some $35 million compared to the previous year. To be fair, it does appear to be a general trend in the TV industry, with LCDs being cheaper to produce at larger and larger sizes. (It used to be that LCDs larger than 42 inches were prohibitively expensive. Starting at that size, you usually went with plasma.) So LG will cut plasma production by 70,000 units per year from now on.

Somewhat related is that, of the plasmas it will produce, LG will be making them smaller for the Chinese market. The sweet spot seems to be sets in the 30-inch range, something the company expects to take off in anticipation of next year’s Olympics in Beijing.