Making my own Klipsch La scala

Cory Riches

I want to make my own set of la scala's. I am curious about making them out of MDF or plywood. My concern with the MDF is its durability. I am afraid of the cabinets staying together and if water were to ever get in contact with them. I picked up some large home made speakers at a garage sale for $30.00. They sound good, but I have always wanted to make my own La scala's. I just sold my fourth set and I am getting some industrial splits next week. The speaker parts I will use are 15" Gauss woofer, Large Celestion horn Mids and K 77 tweeters. I will probably use the homemade cross overs too. I am also unsure how to assemble the cabinets, glue, screw, nail. I also want to build the bottoms and make a wire frame to hold the mid and tweeter. I am open to suggestions.

Cory

I built mine from 3/4 inch plywwod (just like they used to build the poriginal factory models before MDF was available).

I think it's easier to work with, has greater physical strength, is lighter, doesn't deteriorate as much from either getting wet or absorbing moisture from the atmosphere & any little bumps that it may receive are less likely to damage the timber.

I don't think there's any other choice.

Attached is a build guide which may help.

Build%20Plans.txt

Good luck on your project. Just a couple of thoughts.

First, the bigger concern is whether the woofer you are substituting has the correct mechanical, electrical, & acoustic properties for this specific cabinet design (the T/S parameters ...). Substituting this for a K-33 may or may not be a good idea.

Second, the issue of MDF vs plywood is frequently exaggerated. What is probably more important is whether extra bracing can be installed. Do a search on the threads to get some ideas. Incidentally, the bevel on the nose piece exceeds 45 degrees. This will require some thought on how to do this in a safe fashion, or would a slight mode be wiser. Again, a search of older threads may be useful.

-Tom

Thank you Tom, My total cost in this project will be $30.00. I bought a set of home made speakers and I believe the drivers are good ones. I am getting the plywood for free as a friend I work for was throwing away ¾” maple plywood remnants that are mint. I Have an idea about the nose angle. I may make a fixture that will allow me to cut the angles in an upright position, and clamping the piece being cut to another piece in case the sharp edge creates a problem. I do hope the woofer sounds good. If it does not, then I will look for some K33 or K43 woofers. I an debating on the finish. I may leave the maple, or I may paint them white if I can do a good with a high finish. Once again, I thank you and the other members for your suggestions and I will keep this project progress posted.

Cory

I Have an idea about the nose angle. I may make a fixture that will allow me to cut the angles in an upright position, and clamping the piece being cut to another piece in case the sharp edge creates a problem.

The correct way IS to make a jig to hold the pieces vertical and tilt the blade to the correct angle. Attached are build notes from djk.

Bruce

build_instructions_djk.txt