Forte II crossover

egronenthal

Forgive my ignorance, I haven't had much time to research this on the forum...

I have a pair of Klipsch Forte II speakers, purchased new in 1991. I've heard many things about upgrading the factory crossover or even building and installing a new crossover myself. What is the latest poop on this? Can someone direct me to the proper resource?

The main difference is if you feel you're skilled enough to remove old crossover network components and re-solder them without ruining anything, or letting Bob build them for you as a plug-and-play installation. I personally let Bob do the dirty work and am glad I did. I'm not in the least handy with a soldering gun and it would have ended up costing me a lot more if I had attempted everything myself.

Forgive my ignorance, I haven't had much time to research this on the forum...

I have a pair of Klipsch Forte II speakers, purchased new in 1991. I've heard many things about upgrading the factory crossover or even building and installing a new crossover myself. What is the latest poop on this? Can someone direct me to the proper resource?

Get in touch with Chris Munson (popbumper) on this forum!!!

Jay

• 2 months later...

I purchased Bob Crites' crossover repair kit and Titanium tweeter diaphragms just before Christmas. On Christmas morning, I was able to install the tweeter diaphragms and upgrade the caps on the crossover PCB in about 4 hours. With shipping, the total upgrade cost was $113. Bob was really responsive and pointed me to the step-by-step guide on his Web site:

http://www.critesspeakers.com/replace_forte_ii_crossovers.html

For me, this made the job much easier. The results are astounding. I thought my Forte IIs sounded great in stock form, but everything improved from the bass up to the highs. The treble is sweeter and more refined. I thought the Forte IIs were transparent before, but the music is even more dynamic and coherent. They just let the music through and fill up my listening room. I highly recommend Bob Crites' upgrades for the Forte IIs.

• 1 month later...

I purchased Bob Crites' crossover repair kit and Titanium tweeter diaphragms just before Christmas. On Christmas morning, I was able to install the tweeter diaphragms and upgrade the caps on the crossover PCB in about 4 hours. With shipping, the total upgrade cost was $113. Bob was really responsive and pointed me to the step-by-step guide on his Web site:

http://www.critesspeakers.com/replace_forte_ii_crossovers.html

For me, this made the job much easier. The results are astounding. I thought my Forte IIs sounded great in stock form, but everything improved from the bass up to the highs. The treble is sweeter and more refined. I thought the Forte IIs were transparent before, but the music is even more dynamic and coherent. They just let the music through and fill up my listening room. I highly recommend Bob Crites' upgrades for the Forte IIs.

I'm curious if you noticed an improvement when playing the Forte IIs at a low volume after upgrading the caps? I notice mine sound so flat at low volume so that is one thing I'd like to see improve.