RF-83 system *Used* - fair price ?

sparty101

Hi....
Have been following this forum for a while...and finally joined.

I'm looking at purchasing this 2.5 yr old RF-83 system (minus surrounds) I can get for 3K. Includes rf-83s, rc-64 and rt-12d. The single-owner seller demo-ed it well and it seems to be in mint condition....sonically and cosmetically.

Question - Is 3K a fair price for this deal? Seller is firm at 3K. I know an all-new system (incl. surrounds) runs about 7K, although I've seen ebay deals around 5.5-6K...and I might get it for a bit less if I get lucky at local dealer/distributor outlets...

It does seem like a decent deal to me...with a few other pluses (local sale, no shipping, guy purchased this at a local klipsch dealer and can help me out if there are any issues with warranty, etc.)

Any thoughts?

Just throwing this out there . The setup is 2.5 years old and apparently the seller doesn't want them anymore or needs to sell . If I were the one selling them I would ask for around $2.5k and would possibly take around $2k . In my mind speakers and electronics are worth around half of what they cost on the used market . I think you could do better than the $3k he is asking . Shop around and when his stuff doesn't sell maybe he will be willing to deal .

That was quick...Thx !!

Anyway, seller has apparently lost his job and needs to sell. My final offer was 2.5k, and apparently he was already getting ready to put this out on ebay...feeling pretty confident he'll do better there. said he had pics ready to be posted..so on and so forth...It's been a week now and I haven't seen it out there :)

I priced this New at Crutchfield.com, little bit shy of 5 K. So bascially you'd be getting it for half, with local pickup/delivery .....................

So bottom line..............how bad do you want it....................OR do you really need it................

Also have you discussed this with your S/O....................?

I do want it...w/o maybe "overpaying" for it at 3k (asking price - firm)...I'd most definitely take it at 2.5...So do I really wanna go a bit higher ??

As far as s/o...this will have to be a SURPRISE...she isn't too thrilled abt the rf-25s, rc-52 and the rsw-12d in my current setup...we don't quite have room for more equipment at this time although we will shortly...but in the meantime if I'm getting a great deal I'd take it....and not worry about upgrading for a WHILE...

Or am I not making sense :)

• Moderators

As far as s/o...this will have to be a SURPRISE...she isn't too thrilled abt the rf-25s, rc-52 and the rsw-12d in my current setup...we don't quite have room for more equipment at this time although we will shortly..

You will soon have more room for speakers alright...when you and your belongings are out in the yard. [:P] Just messing with ya. On a personal note, my wife and I discuss any major purchase and if we are not both in agreement, we don't get it. No amount of audio gear could replace the worth of my spouse so that is my priority. It helps keep our marriage working very well.

As for price, it's hard to say. Losing your job is a terrible thing. Cash talks so if you can bring him cash in hand and even show it to him, he might take at least a little less. Ask if he will meet you in the middle of yours and his asking price? Never hurts. Remind him that a local sale will prevent him from having to box and ship them out (the RF-83's are 100 lbs each). They are a pain to ship (literally).

Good luck, welcome to the forums and be sure to let us know what happens.

Hey Fish,

I can't remember if you are the one I bought them from. I have had them for a couple of years now. I live in Lewiston Id., soon to be Rapid City SD. Anyway if it is you, I should let you know that I love them and they will be with me for quite a long time.

It should be around 2.5k to be fair.....

I agree, I would offer that and mention cash and carry. If he still doesn't go for it then keep your eye out for them, see if he still has them in a few weeks and make the same offer. At that point if he still said no then I would just move on, as it wasn't meant to be. Like always just when you purchase something a few weeks later it comes up again and even cheaper then you paid for it, your patience will pay off.

BTW, I love my RF-83's.... [:D]

James

• Moderators

Here are my three P's to a good deal.

Patience

Persistence

POUNCE!!!

Works for me. [:D] If you want a sweet deal, you have to do that. With today's economy, it's totally a buyer's market. Not many people are buying speakers, especially in that price range. Offer him less, sit back, be patient, sit back and wait. If you have cash in hand, be sure to let him know that.

I wish we had a yard. I'm working backwards here I guess **not thinking very clearly**...getting my sound ready before getting a house [;)] [and we may be closing on one shortly]. If I get these spkrs right now they would have to spend a few wks at a buddy's place before I get them in...talk abt priorities.

As far as s/o...she knows what our basement is going to be like, we talk abt it all the time...so wont be a total surprise. I just need to ensure I have a bdrm down there :)

• Moderators

I wish we had a yard. I'm working backwards here I guess **not thinking very clearly**...getting my sound ready before getting a house

Now you are talking smart. Take your time, there is no "perfect deal" out there. If this guy had them for $1k, I would say you better jump all over that deal and find anywhere to store them.

If I get these spkrs right now they would have to spend a few wks at a buddy's place before I get them in...talk abt priorities.

Just a word of caution. If you drop them off at your buddy's house, be prepared to never get them back. :) He'll love them.

• 2 weeks later...

Um, No.....Guy won't budge from his asking price...3K...not even by a buck [:(]
seems pretty confident he'll get more out of it on eBay....he hasn't listed it there yet.

I'm running out of ideas to make this happen...looks like I'd have to let it go...based on what I've read here it just doesn't seem worth spending that much for a 2.5 yr old system (w/o RS-62s').

Agree ??