Cornwall II Help Needed!

drewb67

I recently purchased a pair of Klipsch Cornwall II’s for an
amazingly low price of $100.00!! They are pretty rough and in serious need of
some TLC. They have the typical drink stains on the top and peeled and chipped
veneer on the corners and one of the bases is critically damaged. All relatively
easy things to repair. My questions lie with the actual components themselves.
I have spent countless hours on the Klipsch forums since joining last week
(yes, I am a newbie) and have seen the many variations that the Corwalls have
had throughout the years but was puzzled when I began inspecting my pair. I
found what appears to be a larger magnet on the 15” then I had seen in other
pictures and a crossover that looks quite inadequate. I plan on restoring these
speakers and putting them into daily duty once they are done but I want to make
sure that I have the proper components inside when I am all done.

The components are as follows:

15” Woofer K 44E

Mid Horn: K 57K

High Horn: K 79K

The crossover has no
identifiable marks and is attached to the cabinet on the back above the
terminal cup. Please help me determine
what I should do with these components, keep them all as is or upgrade
to..????? I will need to repair/replace one of the K 57K’s, one tends to pop
during playback so I assume it is blown or otherwise damaged. Where would I find
a replacement kit or get it repaired? Any help anyone could offer would be
greatly appreciated.

Guest David H

Wow, you got an amazing deal, and welcome to the forums. The speakers appear to be stock Cornwall II's although I didn't expect the K-44 woofers, then again I am not surprised either.

The midrange diaphram is available from Klipsch parts department.

If you are looking for a stock upgraded replacement crossover see- www.critesspeakers.com

If you are looking for an upgraded crossover I may have a couple other suggestions.

Enjoy the forums, Dave Harris

The Crossover, mounted to the back of the speaker above the terminal cup.

You got a great deal! It would cost $100 to build the cabinets, grills look good. The only thing I am not sure about is the crossover, but you have several options to replace them. GotHover, BEC, or ALK can help you there

This crossover looks like it's been modified, there is a spot on the top right where something was glued?? I hope the workmanship of this crossover is not stock Klipsch. It looks like I built it![:)]

Herb

Sadly, that's what early factory original Cornwall II crossovers looked like.

Later, the crossover was mounted on the input cup.

What you see there is a standard, original, 1986 Cornwall II board mounted crossover.

Those were not marked like "TYPE B" or "TYPE B-3" in fact they were not marked at all.

The components were attached with hot glue and when it did not stick, were RE-attached with hot glue...

I have an restored pair of those crossovers (restored and upgraded with new caps by Bob Crites) for sale.

N

Sadly, that's what early factory original Cornwall II crossovers looked like.

Later, the crossover was mounted on the input cup.

What you see there is a standard, original, 1986 Cornwall II board mounted crossover.

Those were not marked like "TYPE B" or "TYPE B-3" in fact they were not marked at all.

The components were attached with hot glue and when it did not stick, were RE-attached with hot glue...

I have an restored pair of those crossovers (restored and upgraded with new caps by Bob Crites) for sale.

N

YIKES!!!! No wonder we no longer make anything in this country!

H

Guest David H

You say you didnt expect the K-44's, are they good or bad in this speaker? As for the crossovers, I am not sure whether I should rebuild the stock ones or upgrade to a differnet set. Any opinions?

I think and all new crossover with quality inductors and caps would be the ticket.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who replied! After some careful consideration I have decided to rebuild the crossovers myself and repair the horn myself during the restoration of the cabinets. Money ended up being the deciding factor, I hate to cheap out but if I want to enjoy these great speakers sooner than later this is the best step to take. I have refinished and restored many pieces of furniture and have always leaned towards a more up to date look. Right now I am trying to decide what direction to go in regards to the look of the cabinets and grill. One idea is to mimic the newer Klipsch speakers with a gloss black paint job or black ash veneer and update the grill cloth with what the newer speakers use. Any opinions or has anyone seen this done before? I also thought about a cherry veneer with the updated grill cloth. Any ideas on where to get the new grill cloth material?

I have also noticed that many of the speakers I see pictures of have dampining materials inside the cabinet, mine has none. Is this correct for this vintage of Cornwall? Should I add some? I have also seen some posts where Dynamat was added to the casing of the horns, does this help? Should I add this as well?