Subwoofer help needed.

andypanda

Hello all.

I just got my hands on a SVS PB2-ISD subwoofer now with my pioneer SC-05 and RF-62's. I'm attempting to get punchy base out of this box but I run MCCAC setup (which is recommended by the SVS manual) while having it 1/3rd up, i then hear the rumble then MCCAC says the sub volume is too high. so i drop the gain lightly to 1/4 and sound test finishes up fine. I have my sub in the front lof corner against both walls since this is what is recommended in general. i just dont feel that extra umph of LFE that should be coming out my towers and the sub.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

If you want more punch just turn up the output level of the sub. Automatic setups such as MCACC will balance all the speakers in a setup to outupt the same dB level. Most people want more ooomph from their sub than that so go ahead and turn the sub's output up slightly or boost it slightly in your receiver's sub output setting menu.

Also, make sure to set your RF-62s to Small in case MCACC set them to Large. Turn the crossover level on the subwoofer itself as high as it can go (usually 120-150Hz) and set it to 80Hz in your receiver's menu.

OK. I followed your advice and I am shock and awe. All I did in addition the above in MCACC was leaving the speakers set to large and then changing the sub setting from yes to plus. This allowed any bass to be sent to the large speakers AND the sub. I popped in transformers 2 and within 15 min of all the transforming and fighting I am now a believer. Not only did I feel the entire room vibrate with ease but I also felt low frequencies being thrown dircectly under me from the floor. After the movie i was left twitching.

Thanks for the help wuzzer. I greatly appreciate.

Also, make sure to set your RF-62s to Small in case MCACC set them to Large. Turn the crossover level on the subwoofer itself as high as it can go (usually 120-150Hz) and set it to 80Hz in your receiver's menu.

What is the purpose of this, also are the rf-62s not considered large how about some Heresies. Looks like you might have some intresting info, on sub set up I was once told to set my sub cross over to around 60 hz, I dont think my reciever has a built in cross over for my sub but I would have to double check.

duder

Hey duder.

Anyone, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but after poking around with the receiver settings and checking out the manual, it seems setting the speakers to small will forward all low frequencies solely to the subwoofer and no longer the suppossed large towers. Now turning up the crossover to its highest level, i would think, is just an ok precaution measure knowingly you would only receive 80 (or whatever you set the SW crossover on the MCACC) torward the sub.

I was messing with the x over frequency on the receiver and the options are 80, 100, and 150 so i could not have used 120. I couldn't hear/ feel a difference between this. Maybe i just had to much bass for one day.

As FYI I was reading an avs forum chat where MCACC does not handle the sub .1 channel. If this is true, this is awkwird that it would supposedly handle full band phase control but not fine tuning your sub frequency.

There are multiple reasons to set your mains to small. First, that's what THX recomends, with a crossover point of 80. Secondly, if you have bass coming from multiple points, you have a chance for bass cancellation. Third, your subwoofer is much more capable of handling the low stuff than your mains are. Fourth, it will lessen the load on your receiver and speakers.

If you don't want to use the THX starting point of 80 Hz, you can use a starting point of 1/2 to 1 octave above the lowest frequency your mains can accurately reproduce. I think My RF-7's are crossed over at 65 Hz. Don't get hung up on the "large" and "small" nomenclature.