8ohm v 4ohm yet again

Kriton

Has anyone ever looked at what a tub amp does?

2 words, Odd Harmonics

This is true, as far as it goes, but let's go a bit further. The presence of odd harmonics is more the result of the class AB push-pull circuitry used in the output stages of tube amplifiers, which supresses the even harmonic distortion, thus leaving the odd harmonics. This is the probably the reason for the popularity of the SET class A triode amps, which usually have even order harmonics in the 3%-8% range. They are rather low powered, however, requiring efficient loudspeakers for decent performance, such as the Klipsch Heritage models.

No fight here, I am SS all the way. To me the greater headroom allowed by the newer SS gear, coupled with generally lower noise and better reliability, makes SS the way to go.

No fight here, I am SS all the way.

I don't know. SS was pretty much discredited in the waning days of WW II. Indeed, most of it's adherents who survived were forced, rightly I might add, to flee for their lives. Given that even it's youngest members would be a minimum of 80 years of age, I think those who favor tubes have little to fear from the trembling hands of an outmoded idea.