Resistor? Diode?

CECAA850

Can anyone tell me what this is? It's about 5/8" long. It's actually light blue in color. The rings are gold, red, black and gold. It's off of a PC board in a boiler. If you know what it is, can you tell me how to test it and/or where to get another one? Thanks, Carl.

Carl,

Chances are the first band is brown, not gold. The value is 1,000 ohms and the tolerance (the gold band) is + or - 5%. Based upon the color and shape, it looks to be a wirewound type. From the size it could be a 1/2 to 1 watt rating.

Do you have a way of measuring the resistor? Here's one of many on line resistor calculators.

http://www.dannyg.com/examples/res2/resistor.htm

Lee

I guess it's brown, black, red, and then gold. If that's the case then this resistors not the problem with the board. It's the only spot on the board that looked like it got hot and was discolored. The board is 300.00-400.00 dollars, I thought I could get lucky and find a bad part as opposed to replacing the board.

It's a 1K, 5%, flameproof resistor. This type component is used when heating is expected, thus the charring on the PCB beneath it. There is probably an active component that has failed. If those are socketed on your board it would be possible to easily swap them out for repair. If not, then it is a board level troubleshoot and repair job. You may need to send this one to the shop.