Upgrading AVR/Pre

DU73

so..... currently i have a yamaha rxv650 avr using as pre which is connected to a rotel rmb 1075 power amp.. thinking of replacing the yamaha with a rotel pre amp, there a couple on ebay, both are dts and none are hdmi compatable.

i dont know if anywone is familiar with these models:

rotel rsp 1068

rotel rsp 985

i am wondering if anyone would know if i would notice a significant difference in sound, i mainly, like 90%, listen to HT.

I am very happy with the sound i am getting but if i can get a good matching pre for my pro at a great price that will give me better sound and a bigger smile on my face then i will have to take it.

cecaa850 - good question - one that deserves an answer.. i have thought about this and i am thinking that i have no idea what i am missing with hdmi as i dont have it and have not audition a set of good speakers that has it. and i do really enjoy the sound of what i have at the mom which is optical.

so is hdmi really the bees knees like from dolby prologic to dolby digital sound difference. or is it just that little bit better that only an audiophile can truly appreciate the difference.

cecaa - you should be a salesman.. you have convinced me to wait until i get a great deal on a pre with hdmi outs/ins..

now i want one,, i want one NOW,,,,,

i'll be patient though as at the moment anyway my HT is in bits and pieces and all over the place as i am selling my home, and I'll wait for a great deal.. i know the yammy rxv663 has all hdmi and more.. i'll wait for one on ebay that has been used, local pickup and surface scratches and dints [:D]

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT get a pre/pro that does not have HDMI and decoding for the new digital formats. If you can find one, get the Integra DHC 9.9. They will start becoming available in the used market since Integra is about to release its follow on units.

The new format sound is fantastic and worth it. HDMI switching will come into play as more and more source units go HDMI as well as tv's and projectors.

Rudy – will do, well eventually – when a pre with HDMI pops up for the right price, it will be my next upgrade for sure. One thing for certain I am glad I asked the question here as the responses have all been on the same channel re if you are going to invest money in a preamp spend that extra and get HDMI for HT. The Integra looks very nice

Rudy – will do, well eventually – when a pre with HDMI pops up for the right price, it will be my next upgrade for sure. One thing for certain I am glad I asked the question here as the responses have all been on the same channel re if you are going to invest money in a preamp spend that extra and get HDMI for HT. The Integra looks very nice

I have been very pleased with my Integra. I previously used a Parasound HALO C2, which I loved. However, I was tired of having to create work arounds to play a Blu Ray disc and was having to use a BD disk player to decode the new sound formats and send them to my C2 via analog. That was not optimum. I can't tell you how glad I am that I came over to the simplicity of HDMI with a unit that works properly. I will tell you that HDMI is a pain in the neck sometimes and frankly I think the industry screwed up releasing HDMI before it was ready.

However, manufacturers are catching up quickly and components are getting more and more reliable. The new codecs blow away the old DTS and DD if you can beleive that. Think of standard stereo vs. SACD.

I am very satisfied with the 2 channel performance of the Integra. No, it is not on par with the C2 as far as refined sound quality, but bang for the buck it is right up there. and sufficient for my needs. Best of luck finding the right piece of gear.

Rudy – I checked out the specs on the Integra – very nice, I am glad you are very happy with it – it looks like a fantastic unit – there is actually one selling new on ebay Australia starting at $3000 – though I must admit this is more than I can spend. If one pops up used for a good price I will definitely consider.

no one seems to have mentioned another great perk of hdmi. sound formats are the bees knees, for sure ..but simplified cable management is a godsend. one cable from each device to the pre/avr ...and one cable to the tv. your components will breath better and the ugliness is reduced (non issue if the cables are already hidden).

A couple other thoughts to consider:

1) Onkyo Pro 886 - can find it refurbished usually at www.accessories4less.com for just under $1000US. Don't know if they ship to Australia or what the implications are regarding warranty

2) Use a BluRay player with 7.1 analog outputs into a pre-amp that you like. In my case, I have no real reason to go to a new pre-amp as (for me) the only things I'm looking for are the new HD audio formats. I can use my existing Denon which has 8 external inputs and it will work fine for 7.1 HD. The only other thing I'd like is the Audysey (sp?) room EQ for but the money I can't justify a new pre-amp just for that.

A couple other thoughts to consider:

1) Onkyo Pro 886 - can find it refurbished usually at www.accessories4less.com for just under $1000US. Don't know if they ship to Australia or what the implications are regarding warranty

2) Use a BluRay player with 7.1 analog outputs into a pre-amp that you like. In my case, I have no real reason to go to a new pre-amp as (for me) the only things I'm looking for are the new HD audio formats. I can use my existing Denon which has 8 external inputs and it will work fine for 7.1 HD. The only other thing I'd like is the Audysey (sp?) room EQ for but the money I can't justify a new pre-amp just for that.

The Onkyo Pro 886 is also an excellent unit and from everything I have read, is exactly the same as the Integra, just different face plate and one or two different features.

I previously use a 7.1 analog out from my BD player like you are doing. I found that form some reason, the analog sound was not as 'full' and I was still messing around with cheap HDMI switchers for all my sources. Could have been my inexpensive Panasonic player. I struggled for a long time with leaving my Parasound C2, but it was losing value every day. I finally just pulled the trigger and never looked back. I am still using the same Panny player and it has been excellent in bitstream sound. I can certainly understand delaying the purchase.

Marketek still carries the 886 Pro, brand new here http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/AM-FM-Tuners-Receivers/Onkyo-Professional/PR-SC886P.xhtml . Prices will only drop on those as the new units come to market. BTW, I never looked for Audyssey and never intended to use it. Boy, was I wrong. Audyssey is fantastic at helping to tame those nasty room modes.