Question About Heresy "E"

ChadHahn

I picked up a pair of Heresies the other day to go with my tube amp. I had just had my H/K A50K recapped and my tech showed me how it sounded through a pair of LaScalas. I was so impressed that I ran down to this pawnshop I know of and made a deal for a pair of 1978 Heresies that they had.

The sticker on the back reads exclusively made for audio int'l Frankfurt/Germany HERESY E.

I found out that Audio International is an company that sells stereo equipment but what is the E ? Does that mean it was made for the european market?

Also, the cabinets are supposed to be HWO but they are covered in paint. What stripper should I use to get the paint off? I picked up a bottle of industrial strength Goof-Off but I wonder if something would work better.

Thanks for your help and by the way this is my first post.

Chad

Welcome to the Forum

Could you possibly post some pictures of those Heresy's; in particular, the front with grills off, backs showing the serial numbers, and also without the backs. Your descrition is quite curious. Inside the box, the crossover should be a type "E", but I've not run across any Heresy's that have been so labeled for a distributor. My first pair of Khorns and first pair of Heresy's were purchased in Germany (Berlin), and the stickers, etc. were "normal". It' sounds like that Audio Intl added their own sticker.

As far as refinishing them, see: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/109693.aspx

You should also look at: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/103886.aspx in egards to serial numbers, driver codes, etc.

Here are pictures of the front with grill off and the tag on one of the speakers. When I get the back off I'll post pictures of that as well. They are 1978 and not sequential but close to one another.

I looked at the link about refinishing speakers yesterday but it seemed to be mostly about using wood filler. If I continue on with reading it will it talk about stripping paint?

Thanks,

Chad

1.jpg

2.jpg

Very interesting!!! Looks like back in '76-78' time frame, Klipsch took serial stickers and modified them for Audio Intl.

Does anybody out there have serial stickers on the backs of anything other than Heresy's that show "exclusively made" for a distributor?

I'll do some more research, etc., and make an addition to the serial code thread document if that's the case.

Mother's in law...... She's just messin with yah!!!

Audio Intl was not the distributor to the Audio Photo clubs (military high end audio/ photo stores). Klipsch sold direct to those stores (I knew the Klipsch rep). There were no Klipsch Heritage ever in the PX/BX system as far as I recall and I more or less lived there from 1970 through 1985. Klipsch began to supply the PX/BX system in the mid 80's and Forte's, Chorus began to appear. The Heritage were pretty much confined to the audio photo clubs due to the price. There was a price threshold and anything over a certain price was not carried in the PX's.

Mother's in law...... She's just messin with yah!!!

Man and I used to think she was cool. It would have been in the early 80's when her and the father in law were stationed over there, and she might be comparing to prices back then and now and they probably were fortes or chorus.

• 1 month later...

I also have a pair of Heresy "E"s that I bought when stationed at an Air Base in Germany. I bought them at what I think was called the "Audio/Video Club" which was separate from the BX and had a better selection and cheaper prices. Bases around the globe had these 'clubs', therefore I suggest perhaps the "E" stood for Europe.

Nancy