Great Listening Experience

mxr dad

A Great Forum Member (Thanks Tubes N Horns) was kind enough to bring some Tube gear over to my house last weekend for some good ol Listening. He offered to do so because I have been showing interest in jumping into the tube scene and I dont know squat about tubes. He brought a tube preamp, and a tube amp that he built. He also brought a McIntosh SS amp and some great listening CD's with him. I will have to let him tell us the exact models of each piece as I cant really remember all the names, especially when he started talking tube numbers. There sure are a lot of numbers to remember with these tube thingeys LOL.

With some good ol BBQ Ribs on the grill and a few cold ones, it was great.

Heres the short story:

Only 2 speakers were used. They were LaScalas. I should start by saying the listening room was horrible. It was my garage with a metal garage door and my big set of drums between us and the speakers. But it still sounded wonderful. We didnt listen to ear bleeding levels, but the garage door rumbled a copule of times. Maybe it liked it too and was dancing?? I can only imagine what a detailed sound room with treatments would sound like.

After listening to all the amps and preamps I had, and the ones he brought, I would give the winning combo to be his Tube Preamp and Tube amp that he built. (Even if it was just 3 watts !!) This was after hours of listening trying to do our best to do A/B comparison, but thats hard to do with a 5-10 minute break between setups. Even though the listening was fun, the food was good, and the beer was cold, the best part was meeting a new friend and being introduced to music I have never heard of. He has good taste in music and it was just down right fun. I now see what the fuss is about with Tubes. Now who gets the blame for starting my Tube addiction? This is America, no way can I be the blame for it right?

I had 2 amps we listened to. One was a Crown XLS 602 that has 385 watts per channel. The other was an old HK 770 power amp that I'm not sure of the power. My pre was Adcom GFP-555. While the Crown was definatley the loudest, it wasnt the best in my opinion. None of the amps were slouches, but again, I liked the Tubes better. Very non-fatiguing. We also moved to another room where we hooked these up to my RF-5's. We only listened a little bit on these so its hard to say here. But the Tubes sounded good with the RF-5's too.

A big Thank You to Tubes and Horns. That is way cool of you to offer this and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. You have a nicesetup and it has to satisfying knowing you put the kit together. Very cool.

3 watts are you kidding me????? OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

PS. I just bought the Scott 299 B Integrated Tube Amp from the Garage Sale Forum. See??????? Here I go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See......Here you go! [:P]

A great read and it sounded like you had a great time! I hate threads like this, as I have never heard tubes with my La Scala's (that is not an invitation for anyone who lives near me to bring tubes over!). I'd bet my reaction would be similar to yours and look at you, you're sold!

Three watts? Are you kidding ME? And you liked it? LOL Yeah, I better stop now, before I get like you, and find myself in the Garage Sale section.[^o)]

Thanks for the post and enjoy those tubes!

Dennie

PS. I just bought the Scott 299 B Integrated Tube Amp from the Garage Sale Forum. See??????? Here I go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROFLMAO, over here.....but wait.....your wife is gonna hate me!

Man, the 299B has quite a group of tubes; therefore, you can use it on the RF-5s during the winter months. It will help to heat your living room!

Send the numbers of all the tubes. I know a guy that has a bunch of miscellaneous tubes, many NOS, that he is letting go really cheap. He has (had) very few audiophile tubes, but you never know. I got that old GE Ken Rad 2A3 that I showed you for five bucks!

Rick

See......Here you go! Stick out tongue

A great read and it sounded like you had a great time! I hate threads like this, as I have never heard tubes with my La Scala's (that is not an invitation for anyone who lives near me to bring tubes over!). I'd bet my reaction would be similar to yours and look at you, you're sold!

Three watts? Are you kidding ME? And you liked it? LOL Yeah, I better stop now, before I get like you, and find myself in the Garage Sale section.Hmm

Thanks for the post and enjoy those tubes!

Dennie

"What this country needs is a good 5 watt amplifier." PWK

Dave

GREAT Responses.

Maybe I shouldve started with.......... Hi My name is MXR Dad and I'm a Tuboholic (now). I cant wait to get that Scott 299 B.

Yep, Mallette, watch out. Theres a dangerous "Tube Flu" going around. The only cure is the Garage Sale Forum. If you feel any symptoms of this Tube Flu, go straight to the GS Forum and seek immediate help. My first round of "Scott antibiotics" should last 2-3 months till the Tube Pre Amp Flu gets me. I hope I can wait that long, but then again Santa Clause is coming to town!!!! Ya never know!!!!!!! Oh yeah, and yep, 3 Little ol Watts!!!!!!! Wow.

And Yes Tubes & Horns, you will share some of the blame, so if I show up on your doorstep looking for a warm place to sleep, help a Tubie out will ya????? I'm thinking I should seek legal action for punitive damages here!! HAHA. At least I can say I have a very understanding wife so no danger there....... yet! I must seek help if this trend continues. Is there a Doctor in the House???

Lets have a group Listening Festival after the Holiday rumble calms down. Sounds like a good plan with the cold weather about to come our way. Dont forget Mallette, hes already hooked, all we have to do is reel him in!!!! Remember, all it takes is 3 watts!!!! Come on in man, the waters warm!!!!!

OH THE HUMANITY !!!!!!

Sorry, I think it was Dennie I was referring to. But either way.......

Somebody please get some tubes over there for Dennie to listen to. Tell ya what, your not that far from Texas, so see ya when, this weekend? Its only about 1500-2000 miles. Whats the problem?

Your LaScalas will love them and they will actually Thank You for the tubes. I swear I heard mine say Thanks. You know your gonna, so just give in, go to Garage Sale Forum and keep the economy going. Right?

Woo-Hoo. Counting the days till I get the Scott Tube amp.

Sorry, I think it was Dennie I was referring to. But either way.......

Somebody please get some tubes over there for Dennie to listen to. Tell ya what, your not that far from Texas, so see ya when, this weekend? Its only about 1500-2000 miles. Whats the problem?

Your LaScalas will love them and they will actually Thank You for the tubes. I swear I heard mine say Thanks. You know your gonna, so just give in, go to Garage Sale Forum and keep the economy going. Right?

Woo-Hoo. Counting the days till I get the Scott Tube amp.

LOL! I will NOT drink the Kool-aid, I will NOT drink the Kool-aid, I will NOT drink the kool-aid!!!!

(opens eyes) Dang, you guys are still here! [:@]

Yet!

Dennie[:|]

YOU ARE NOW UNDER MY SPELL. AT THE COUNT OF 3 YOU WILL GO DIRECTLY TO THE GARAGE SALE FORUM AND BECOME ONE WITH THE TUBES!!!

I will not click my fingers 3 times to un-spell ya (like that?) until I see tubes heading your way. That should do it!! I wish I knew how load one of those crazy hypnotic circles that go round and round right now. Help me out here Jacksonbart! I liked the way you "shed some light" on that speaker thread. Funny stuff there.

YOU ARE NOW UNDER MY SPELL. AT THE COUNT OF 3 YOU WILL GO DIRECTLY TO THE GARAGE SALE FORUM AND BECOME ONE WITH THE TUBES!!!

I will not click my fingers 3 times to un-spell ya (like that?) until I see tubes heading your way. That should do it!! I wish I knew how load one of those crazy hypnotic circles that go round and round right now. Help me out here Jacksonbart! I liked the way you "shed some light" on that speaker thread. Funny stuff there.

Yep. Your wife is gonna kill me. You got it bad!

Rick

"YOU ARE NOW UNDER MY SPELL. AT THE COUNT OF 3 YOU WILL GO DIRECTLY TO THE GARAGE SALE FORUM AND BECOME ONE WITH THE TUBES!!!"

spinning-wheel-illusion.gif

Stare at one of the 5 wheels. It will appear to be
motionless but the other four will seem as though they are
turning. Whichever one you stare at will appear to
suddenly stop spinning. In reality - none of the wheels
are turning at all.

But I'm not looking.....

Dennie[:|]

C'mon man, you gotta look at it! It will result in you getting Tubes, and you have an excuse. You were hypmotized!! (I dont think the wife will undersatnd that one unless you get her to stare at it).

Man, your right. The one you look at quits turning. Sometimes I can get them all to stop for a split second, then they start turning again. Try shutting 1 eye and looking at it again. It kinda changes. II'll try drinking a few cold ones tomorrow and try it again. Too late tonight.

HHHmmm, Tubies and Doobies. Gotta Love the 70's. I had to give up the Doobs, but not the Tubes. Kinda sounds like a song huh?

mxr dad, I'm happy for you. I, too, am very (VERY!) interested in getting into tubes. After the new year, hopefully when the taxman pays me back, I'll be on the hunt for the very same amp you have, the Scott 299B. While I'm not going to be listening through La Scalas, I'm sure I will enjoy the tube sound through my Forte II's. My main reason for wanting this tube 2 channel setup is that I recently bought a nice turntable (MMF 5.1) and along with it, about 500 LP's over the last year. I currently have the TT hooked up in my living room, which doubles as my home theater 5 channel setup, which doubles as the main (and only) TV watching room in the house. Needless to say, my turntable doesn't get much play. Not to mention, I have very diverse musical taste. I love classic rock and I also love extreme metal, and I have more metal records than anything else, but my wife isn't into that one bit. So, unless she's not home (which doesn't happen much) I don't get to listen to my records.

I recently picked up a second pair of Forte II's from forum member groomlakearea51 (Thanks again Marshall!) and will be putting together a nice two channel setup in my new house in a loft area, and I really want to power them with a Scott! In the meantime they'll be powered by some SS vintage stereo that was my dad's, but I will be waiting for that day when I get my Scott and can finally see what I've been missing out on. Let us know how you like the 299B when you get it hooked up!

-Shawn

Thanks man,

Whoa, 500 LP's. Thats a nice collection. I too enjoy the same music range. My Daughter never understood how I could like anything from old Country to metal. But I enjoy popping in some good ol George Jones, or Ray Charles, then follow up with some Motley Crue and other metal CD's. My wife can handle the "light"metal, but not the heavy so I hear ya, the heavy stuff comes out when she aint home too!!

I think your Forte II's will be just fine. Maybe you can find someone nice enough to bring some over for you to hear with your speakers. That was very nice of Tubes and Horns to bring his over and I enjoyed it very much. Throw out an invitation, someone just might do it if they are close to ya.

I'll be sure to start a Thread with my new toy after I get a chance to listen to it. I'm sure I wont be disappointed. I hope the tax man is nice to you and you can find a Scott like you want. It sounds like you like music enough to justify it. Thats one good thing about music, the old stuff will never go away right?