Juicy music, phono preamp, best at7 for it? and ax7 for it? any suggestion?

jazzbeq

Hi,

kindly ask, for your help, got a juicymusic phono preamp, and want to replace my AT7 and ax7 on it, i have love the mark recommandation for it, in my email, any of you play with tube on it and could recommanded me, witch one i should choose?

Does the AT7 need to be perfect match?

Will also try Mark email with same question?

any help, would be appreciated

here where i plan to purchase, witch one i should order?

http://thetubestore.com/12at7types.html

Best regards

Chris

NOS Mullards are my favorite for pre-amps. Don't think you're going to find them at the shop. They're oriented toward guitar amp stuff. The tubes Mark installed originally are high quality, better than anything you're going to find at that place.

search ebay for NOS Mullard 12at7 and 12ax7, get an idea what's out there.

I think that we are talking about the Terel here.

I have used these two combos with great sucess:

Mullard M8162 12AT7's with a GE 12AX7 "longplate" or "backplate" or something like that from the late 50's. Really nice and much better than the stock setup.

Here are the Mullards:

http://cgi.ebay.com/12AT7-ECC81-CV4024-M8162-Mullard-Tube-Match-Pairs_W0QQitemZ380176666907QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item58844b911b

Price is the going rate. Quite a bargain compared to some Amperex tubes that I have bought.

I also have on loan from a good friend:

Brimar 12AT7's and 12AX7's. Even warmer than the above. Very nice combos.

I also have some miscellaneous RCA, Realistic and GE tube and the Electro Harmix tubes that came with the Tercel.

No tube is more important for phono than the 12AT7 in the V1 slot. After much tube rolling, a vintage Telefunken ECC801S changed my audio world forever. The 2 shown here are slightly newer than the original I have in my BBX which came in a similar but non-colored box (still sealed) but I bought 2 just like those shown for about $125 each as backups. I think I'm probably set for life now.

post-11821-13819513581356_thumb.jpg

BTW - My favorite 12AX7 was an old Amperex (Holland) that died on me. I now use a nice Telefunken that is slightly less detailed although it could just be in my head. There really isn't much difference. I'd like to try a mullard some day if one happens to show up at my door.

Edit: The 12AT7 doesn't need to be a match at all. V1 is the important tube. Any other decent 12AT7 will be fine in the other slot according to Mark. I put one of my spare mega-expensive Telefunkens in just to see and I couldn't tell much difference between that and what came with the unit.

Don't think you're going to find them at the shop. They're oriented toward guitar amp stuff. The tubes Mark installed originally are high quality, better than anything you're going to find at that place

They've actually moved into more guitar related tubes and gear, but they have a lot available.

They have Mullard, Siemens, etc., and their prices aren't bad.

BTW - My favorite 12AX7 was an old Amperex (Holland) that died on me. I now use a nice Telefunken that is slightly less detailed although it could just be in my head. There really isn't much difference. I'd like to try a mullard some day if one happens to show up at my door.

Edit: The 12AT7 doesn't need to be a match at all. V1 is the important tube. Any other decent 12AT7 will be fine in the other slot according to Mark. I put one of my spare mega-expensive Telefunkens in just to see and I couldn't tell much difference between that and what came with the unit.

Wow, good to be back. Just unpacking the Blueberry after a long hibernation. I think I have one of those Tele 12AT7.... but where.... hope I didn't throw that box away!