How much bass do the RB-61's have?

marcb515

I have a very old pair of Cerwin Vega's (I think they are D-7's), which have a great sound; they are 3-way, and have 12" woofers for an nice deep bass sound.

Problem is, my wife says they are too big, and wants something smaller. So. I'm thinking that the RB-61's may do the job.

I have a 10 year old Onkyo, and am wondering if the RB-61 will push out some decent bass.

So, just looking for some +/- comments on the RB-61's

Thnak you,.....marc

I highly doubt you'll be satisfied by the bass from a bookshelf speaker after you're used to bass from a 12" woofer in a floorstanding speaker. Adding a small sub hidden away will help.

Show your wife some pictures of others' setups on here, preferably with Khorns and Jubilees. Maybe then she'll see that your Cerwin-Vegas aren't so big after all. [;)]

The new Reference series towers will put out excellent bass. If your budget allows for RF-82, 63 or 83s they'll provide much more bass than a bookshelf will. The new Reference series towers are also narrower and less obtrusive in a room.

I bought a pair of 61's that I used for a short period of time and then gave them to a friend for his birthday to use as rear's and they are very nice for that, but I wouldn't use them for mains, even with a sub, but I would give a listen to RB 5's with a nice sub. I run this in a secondary room and it's wonderful, and you can pick up the RB 5's for less than 61's and they blow the 61's away IMO.

If I am forced to get some bookshelf speakers, how will a subwoofer sound when listening to stereo?

Thank you,....marc

It can sound very good depending on placement, location etc. The nice thing IMO with small speakers paired up with a sub is that the bass is always there......and if you're really into good bass driving your music like myself.....that counts big time.