Tweeters and Mid-Range Drivers

CIGARBUM

Just out of curiosity, and to get some of opinions of the folks that are building your own horns or change out of drivers. I am trying to get an idea of the value created by the different drivers, I can to get to the point of diminishing returns, at my age very quickly. So please get me your opinions of these: both 1" and 2" drivers for the horns, Tad, very good but too expensive, $1400 each. BMS, good but still a little pricey at $475 each, them there is the JBL 2470 and several others that can go from cheap to expensive. Instead of listing all the drivers in the world, let's just say that, for me the top price for a real good mid-range driver should be $500, again I'm looking for value and because I'm not one of you golden eared devils, just an old man. The prices are for new drivers, not sure what the price would be for used equipment, but considably less. Is there anything wrong with the original Klipsch K55.

Then there are the tweeters, what's good?

Right now I have in my DBB HF, Great Plains 902-16 and Beyma C25, both seen to be very acceptable, but can I get better, cheaper?

Will appreciate all your opinions on the matter.

CigaraBum

The K-55 with it's phenolic diaphragm goes down to 200 Hz, just right for crossing at 400 Hz. Few drivers can do this, and they tend to be a bit more expensive than the K-55.

The 2" drivers tend to have less distortion than the 1" ones, that is if you can find one that goes low enough. With most of them you will need to use 24 dB/octave slopes or higher, or risk driver damage. My best advice here: use drivers and crossover points that been proven to work well in this sort of application.

For tweeters, what you have mentioned plus the Crites replacement.

Just MHO.

Just out of curiosity, and to get some of opinions of the folks that are building your own horns or change out of drivers. I am trying to get an idea of the value created by the different drivers, I can to get to the point of diminishing returns, at my age very quickly. So please get me your opinions of these: both 1" and 2" drivers for the horns, Tad, very good but too expensive, $1400 each. BMS, good but still a little pricey at $475 each, them there is the JBL 2470 and several others that can go from cheap to expensive. Instead of listing all the drivers in the world, let's just say that, for me the top price for a real good mid-range driver should be $500, again I'm looking for value and because I'm not one of you golden eared devils, just an old man. The prices are for new drivers, not sure what the price would be for used equipment, but considably less. Is there anything wrong with the original Klipsch K55.

Then there are the tweeters, what's good?

Right now I have in my DBB HF, Great Plains 902-16 and Beyma C25, both seen to be very acceptable, but can I get better, cheaper?

Will appreciate all your opinions on the matter.

CigaraBum

The JBL 2445J driver is a great value you can find them used for around $300. a pr. I am using them with my Cornscala dbbs I also have a pr. of Altec 299-16A's however they are a bit more used but I prefer the JBL's you will be fine if you cross them at 500Hz. also IBSlammin has Altec 902's in his Cornscala dbbs and he told me that a woofer failed and his 902's were fine crossed at 400Hz and I think he told me it was a 1st order before he changed them to ALK's but I would contact him to verify.

Dean, like usual I don't know what I am doing. I guess just looking for good parts in case I do decide to build something. I am in the process of building some wooden horns, what a pain in the butt. I got a little carried away and started with two,but decided you can build six about a quick, there about 10" x 24".

As for the crossover, they still like in Bambi and Thumper, picture attached, I'm actuall trying to learn a little about crossovers.Having a problem attaching a picture, got Windows 7 now and don't know how to use it.

CB