woofer damage due to shipping?

WopOnTour

Just wondering if anyone here has heard of or experienced and sort of woofer damage, from shipping Khorns (truck frieght) with the speaker cabinets laying flat on a pallet, i.e. front face down? Is there anyway that on the rough ride (trailers dont have much for suspension) the woofers might get bounced to the point they would exceed maximum excursion and be damaged? Could this cause a voice coil to go open circuit? OR should the suspension of the surround and spider be able to control the mechanical travel when hanging upside down like this???

Let's just say this is all 'hypothetically" at this point. [;)]\

Thanks to any/all replies

WopOnTour

Never heard about a problem with the K'horns. Mine went from Hope to Berlin, to Frankfurt, to Ansbach, to Bremerhaven, to Ft. Monmouth, to Huntington, W V, to Labelle, FL home 1 to Labelle FL home 2, to Okeechobee, FL home 1, then home 2, then home 3 and finally to home 4. Lotta bouncing around from 1978 to now. No problems.

Yes, but that was probably standing upright correct? These were apparenty laying down with the cones facing down on tha back of a high-boy trailer. I really not sure if this could cause damage either, but I'd thought I'd ask the group. I really like the sorting bar idea to add back-emf induced self damping- good idea!

Thanks

Put a shorting jumper across the place where the woofer connects to the crossover. I remember when almost all cone drivers were shipped with a shorting clip across the voice coils to dampen cone motion.. Probably not really necessary, but won't hurt.

Yep. kind of a damping/braking sort of idea. It may not be really necessary with a driver having a stiff suspension. But with a driver with a loose suspension, (easy cone movement/excursion) shorting the terminals can really help with regards to shipping a driver.

I'll short the terminals on speaker drivers when shipping, no matter what the suspension. Except tweeters, can't see the point there....