KPT 12" effects speakers....KPT-12-VB and KPT-1201.

Rudy81

Just finished watching the "District 9" BD. That movie has now convinced me that this has been a superb upgrade. There are plenty of helicopters, bullets, and other excellent surround information. This was fantastic....incredible realism that truly immersed you in the film.

The KPT-12-VB's really shined with this movie. They truly have the ability to 'throw' the sound to different areas of the room.....a truly amazing surround speaker.

I also received the replacement woofer for the bad KPT-1201. Klipsch and American Cinema have provided top notch support. Great communication and attention to even the smallest of customers. If you interested in these, I highly recommend these folks. Let me know if you need contact information.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Going back to this thread, are you still running the Khorns and lascala, or from what your signature says your have your diy speakers. If this is correct how do you feel about the surrounds timbre match with your current setup. The reason I ask is for I am running modified khorns, and lascalas for my fronts, and am looking for the right surround speakers. By modified I have Altec 511bs with K-55 drivers and the Selenium HM17-25 horns with d220ti drivers. My room is way smaller than yours but still want a good sounding surround, maybe going with something like the kpt-8-vbs, or kpt-8001s, which brings me to my next question going back would you still have gone with both model speakers or just chosen one of them and if you were still to go with both models what do you gain by using the 2 different models.

I like the idea of being able to raise these up the ceilings, I don't know if I was to stick with Heresies if I would like them blasting right at my face(plus I want to use them in my 2 channel rig). I think last resort would be to go with a diy surround with using the right selenium products. But that would take some heavy research maybe from other sources.

thanks

My sound taste has evolved over the years and I no longer have the Khorns or La Scala bottom. The strange thing is I went from a standard subwoofer for LFE to a pair of DIY tapped horns. I would never have guessed my gear would evolve as it did, but my original use of Cornwalls for effects speakers eventually led me to like that type of bass bin more than the horns I had always listened to.

I find the timbre matching to still work well with the mains. My mains use the Faital Pro drivers now with the Jabo horns and the center still uses the P. Audio driver and horn.

The KPTs are just awesome and sound great. Due to the HF horn setup in the 'vbat' speakers, I still beleive the speaker selection for the rear set was correct. At the time of purchase I debated buying to sets of the same model, but settled on a different set for the back.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the 8's or 12's. Either for your setup or mine, I can't think of any speakers that would better match the fronts.

• 11 months later...

The 3 dB per octave decrease starting at 2 KHz looks like the implemented SMPTE/ISO 2696 X-curve. Wish the crossover had a switch to bypass that filter! I am not sure we want that in home theater. Doesn't seem to bother you from your review though.