First song or album on tube amp?

muel

Well muel, the Denon DP-23F is a fully automated turntable, and it is direct drive, niether of which I personally am a fan of. I would try and get a hold of a a Shure V-15mr Type V but for that table/arm a new m97 is probably going to extract about all you're going to get from that combo without getting a new TT.

Have Fun!

Whatever you choose just make sure you remove the case and get all the packaging and cardboard from around the tubes. I really went to town with the packaging. I hope you enjoy and let the obsession begin. [:D]

P.S. I wouldn't say that it's broken in yet. It was rebuilt about 3 years ago but it was used for the rear channels of a DVD/A - SACD setup so it may have about 30 hours total.

As odd as it sounds the CD Soundtrack to the movie Last of the Mohicans has some great percussion and fiddle. Even my wife likes to debut new eqipment with this CD.

Remastered "Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" has nice piano realism.

Dave Mason new greates hits anthology is remastered very well. "Look at you Look" at me sounds amazing through VRDs and would sound nice through any NOS Valves rebuild.

I agree with the female vocal comment.

There is a female vocal compilation called "Songbirds" that is excelent. Cannot find a link to it, must be out of print.

THere is a really haunting song called "Factory Girl" by Sinead O'Connor.

Eva Cassidy is a lady who died before she was known as a solo singer.

http://music.barnesandnoble.com/Songbird/Eva-Cassidy/e/739341004520/?itm=1&usri=songbirds

Tough but fun choices!

• 2 weeks later...

OK… NOW I get what you folks have been talking about!

Hearing tubes and listening to the Scott 299b for the first time was not disappointing. This is certainly a great match with the Cornwalls! Even though my source is somewhat weak (my best on this setup is the Audigy 2 zs output from my computer) at this point, I was still able to have a great time selecting some good sounding tunes.

So far, all have been FLAC files… started with Julie London (wow), Coltrane, Pink Floyd (Dark side of the Moon is indeed incredible with tubes)… from there it is a blur of Jimmy Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Ella Fitzgerald, Beatles, Robert Johnson, Led Zeppelin… Forgetting all about any stress or worries, the tinnitus in my ear, I felt like a teenager again! And to think, what do I have in store as I gradually upgrade to better sources in the future?! Better turntable, CD player, new DAC… what’s next?

I found this forum just 4 months ago and within a few weeks I owned 2 pair of Cornwalls… I guess I caught the fever quickly! The bank says I better slow down but my wife just informed me the CD changer is dying in the living room. Hey! Thanks for the advice on this forum! Even if it was directed to someone else a couple of years ago I appreciate being able to benefit from your comments and experience.

I beleive I would first play WYWH, followed by DSOTM. If they didn't sound good, I'm afraid it would be off to CL/eBay for the tubes.

Somewhere in storage, I 'think' I have a 299B that I got for free in college. If a previous tenant of the house didn't steal it, I'll have to try it out. Must go get it one of these days.

• Like 1

And to think, what do I have in store as I gradually upgrade to better sources in the future?! Better turntable, CD player, new DAC… what’s next?

I found this forum just 4 months ago and within a few weeks I owned 2 pair of Cornwalls… I guess I caught the fever quickly! The bank says I better slow down but my wife just informed me the CD changer is dying in the living room. Hey! Thanks for the advice on this forum! Even if it was directed to someone else a couple of years ago I appreciate being able to benefit from your comments and experience.

Hey Muel,

It sounds like your having a great time! Keep it up! [:P]

Check your local Craigslist for an Oppo DVD/Universal Disc player. They are excellent players for the money. They don't come up very often, as they are pretty desirable.

...and I have to agree with you, there are some great people around here. Past and present! A wealth of knowledge.

Keep enjoying the music,

Dennie