La Scalas sound are more natural then Cornwalls?

neo33

Is it just me or the La Scalas just sound better (smoother and more natural) then the Cornwalls? I have been listening to both speakers in the last few days and I noticed that something really bothered me about the Cornwalls. They sounded more and more forward and a little harsh in the upper end and the La Scalas are just more natural. Can someone tell me what's going on?

The Cornwalls WILL get strident up top when pushed. Fortunately for me I don't play my Cornwalls at such a volume where this is an issue. The Cornwalls are very good for me up to about 90-93db in a 15 x 20 foot room. Tube gear and/or warm Mac SS also helps.

The LaScalas will do better in this regard, and with modifications can be made essentially a non-issue at some serious volume. The LaScala midrange is also more "open", more of the midrange resides in the actual midrange driver and horn vs. Cornwall, giving the LaScala an advantage there too.

The Cornwall is a very good balanced full range speaker, you just cannot push them like the fully horn loaded Heritage.

I listened to both speakers in a 16 X 10 room at 90db (on the Moondogs, Dared MP-6V and Panasonic SA-XR50 Rec) and I noticed that regardless of what the gears are (tube or SS), the La Scalas is better in every which way. Cornwalls used to be my main speakers until I got the La Scalas. I am just wondering maybe I listen to the La Scalas more and more and start to notice all of these differences.