Bryston Vs. Tubes

BE36

I have a Bryston 3BST that is pretty good. Better slam than any of the tube gear I have had, but a slight grain to the high end. It all depends what you live for, how long and how loud you listen. At that level, I would run anything you may purchase through Craig's (NOSValves) tube health spa for years of stisfaction.

I have a Bryston 3BST that is pretty good. Better slam than any of the tube gear I have had, but a slight grain to the high end. It all depends what you live for, how long and how loud you listen. At that level, I would run anything you may purchase through Craig's (NOSValves) tube health spa for years of stisfaction.

That is interesting. I can see the Brystons being bright with horns, but grain may be a streatch. I had a pair of 7B ST's and they were very transparent. I did use a Musical Fidelity preamp that was rather warm and was using B&W speakers, which in spite of their reputation, were not bright in my setup.

If you want SS, try Mac or Classe. My present speakers are rated at 200 wpc and I have kepy my Classe amps that are rated at 350/700 wpc because they have such a nice warm presentation.

Here is a very inexpensive Classe amp that will have plenty opf power for horns:

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1265512380&/Classe-CA-101-Great-100-watt-a

They even describe it as "tubelike."

I don't think there is, nor should be any comparison between the two. They are two different beasts.

While I have heard both solid state and valve amps that I like or don't like, its not really a fair comparison. Just the simple fact that after decades of comparison and claimed demise the electron VALVE is still alive and well should tell you something ~ kind of like a Klipschorn.

That being said, the Bryston is a fine amplifier ~ in the same league with vintage Crown of the same era.

For what it's worth, one other thing to consider in the tube vs transistor arguement. The "technical term" for vacuum tube is electron "valve". The technical term for a transistor is "gate". This is no coincidence. A gate and a valve function differently (yah, I know, in plumbing there are gate valves but they still function in much the same way - non linear and should really be used full on or off - like a switch) When playing MUSIC, which would you perfer reproducing the WAVEform, a switch (gate) or a valve? I know this is really remedial and there are many other factors that go into this, but the fundamental audio device does have a signature sound. And they are different. You get to choose. [:D]

That is best explanation I have heard on the difference between the tubes and solid state. I heard tubes called valves and read a little, very little on Mosfets etc but never made the connection. You have a correlation level of understanding, the highest level, and explained clearly and quickly, Thanks!

In search of Valves or Gates that have tight bass and warm silky mids. . . Biamp? . . .

I don't think there is, nor should be any comparison between the two. They are two different beasts.

While I have heard both solid state and valve amps that I like or don't like, its not really a fair comparison. Just the simple fact that after decades of comparison and claimed demise the electron VALVE is still alive and well should tell you something ~ kind of like a Klipschorn.

That being said, the Bryston is a fine amplifier ~ in the same league with vintage Crown of the same era.

For what it's worth, one other thing to consider in the tube vs transistor arguement. The "technical term" for vacuum tube is electron "valve". The technical term for a transistor is "gate". This is no coincidence. A gate and a valve function differently (yah, I know, in plumbing there are gate valves but they still function in much the same way - non linear and should really be used full on or off - like a switch) When playing MUSIC, which would you perfer reproducing the WAVEform, a switch (gate) or a valve? I know this is really remedial and there are many other factors that go into this, but the fundamental audio device does have a signature sound. And they are different. You get to choose. Big Smile

I give this post a big [Y]

Awesome post Artto!!